Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Pro Audio
Pro Audio [message #77583] Fri, 23 August 2013 12:55 Go to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
We've all heard the term and we all have a little bit of a different way of interpreting it. So, how would you define the term "Pro Audio"?
Re: Pro Audio [message #77584 is a reply to message #77583] Fri, 23 August 2013 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It is equipment, services, etc. used for commercial applications, e.g. concerts, theaters, etc.

Re: Pro Audio [message #77888 is a reply to message #77584] Mon, 23 September 2013 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 23 August 2013 13:31

It is equipment, services, etc. used for commercial applications, e.g. concerts, theaters, etc.

I agree, as far as this goes. What about home recording studios, though? If the person is a professional musician, wouldn't you consider even a home studio to be pro audio?
Re: Pro Audio [message #78066 is a reply to message #77888] Wed, 09 October 2013 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gentry is currently offline  Gentry
Chancellor
It would depend on the equipment and set up in the home studio. A person could be a professional musician and operate out of a home studio. Just because he is a professional musician it does not make his studio professional unless it is has the equipment to make it a professional studio.
Re: Pro Audio [message #78114 is a reply to message #78066] Wed, 16 October 2013 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gentry wrote on Wed, 09 October 2013 15:32
It would depend on the equipment and set up in the home studio. A person could be a professional musician and operate out of a home studio. Just because he is a professional musician it does not make his studio professional unless it is has the equipment to make it a professional studio.

What are the equipment requirements then? Is it brand based? If he uses a Peavey amp instead of a Marshall, does that make his studio less professional?
Re: Pro Audio [message #78118 is a reply to message #78114] Wed, 16 October 2013 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
To me, pro audio would be technicians who are formally trained in operating and using audio equipment that is industrial grade. Therefore, if he is professionally trained in recording and uses high-end audio equipment for quality sound then his home studio would be considered pro audio.
Re: Pro Audio [message #78192 is a reply to message #78118] Thu, 24 October 2013 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe I would differentiate it by what the equipment is designed to do. Both pro and hi-fi gear are designed to reproduce or record music. The difference is that most pro gear is designed to work in more difficult situations. For fixed pro gear it needs to be up and running 100% of the time and be consistent if not really top level sound. For portable gear it needs to be all that plus durable. Connectors need to be able to pulled apart many times and not fail. Amps, mixers and such need to withstand temperature extremes, high humidity and electronically noisy environments and function well.

The mix up as I see it is a marketing hype. I have seen many budget devices claim to be pro gear as a way to entice you to buy them. They are frequently about as far away from real pro devices as is possible. Often even very marginal as non-pro gear. The label is sort of used like putting chrome on a cheap car and calling it a premium model.

A distinguishing characteristic of a lot of pro gear is the use of three pin balanced interconnects (either XLR or 1/4 inch 3 conductor phone plugs and jacks). No guarantee there but if they are missing then it is almost certainly a non-pro piece of equipment.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Pro Audio [message #78233 is a reply to message #78192] Wed, 30 October 2013 06:37 Go to previous message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 17:42
Hi, I believe I would differentiate it by what the equipment is designed to do. Both pro and hi-fi gear are designed to reproduce or record music. The difference is that most pro gear is designed to work in more difficult situations. For fixed pro gear it needs to be up and running 100% of the time and be consistent if not really top level sound. For portable gear it needs to be all that plus durable. Connectors need to be able to pulled apart many times and not fail. Amps, mixers and such need to withstand temperature extremes, high humidity and electronically noisy environments and function well.

The mix up as I see it is a marketing hype. I have seen many budget devices claim to be pro gear as a way to entice you to buy them. They are frequently about as far away from real pro devices as is possible. Often even very marginal as non-pro gear. The label is sort of used like putting chrome on a cheap car and calling it a premium model.

A distinguishing characteristic of a lot of pro gear is the use of three pin balanced interconnects (either XLR or 1/4 inch 3 conductor phone plugs and jacks). No guarantee there but if they are missing then it is almost certainly a non-pro piece of equipment.

That's a good point. When I am looking at serious audio gear, I don't buy equipment that doesn't have XLR or 1/4" 3 conductor jacks.
Previous Topic: Harmonica?
Next Topic: Own a Studio?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:46:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout