Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here?
Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here? [message #10468] Wed, 05 November 2003 09:26 Go to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
I would imagine there are very few of us who have been listening to SET straight through since the '30s. ;-) I would also imagine people have taken widely varying routes to get here.

What stops along the way have YOU made?

"Keep your mind and your ears open."

Re: Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here? [message #10470 is a reply to message #10468] Wed, 05 November 2003 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Like I said in my other reply, I've really had little experience with SET amps except Zen and Paramours. I really like the Paramours on the Stage seven π combination - It sounds great everywhere in the room. Bass is full and voices are sweet - They seem to materialize right in front of you and hang in the air, no matter where in the room you're sitting. That's a bit of magic you know. Ambience from the configuration actually.

But it sounds soooo good, particularly for what is an entry level or maybe medium level system. It hints at what can be done with a bit more resources - I'd love to have a more powerful SET on some Audiphile Series seven π's, which are sort of like what you have in the fours but using all JBL drivers in a cornerhorn configuration.

Re: Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here? [message #10478 is a reply to message #10470] Tue, 09 December 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scholl is currently offline  Scholl
Viscount
I just started refitting the Nor'easter with GM70s for 20-25 watts. The Nor'easter was a project that was published in Valve mag several years ago and was basicly a study in a powerfull SET made as simply as possible.

High-power SET [message #10479 is a reply to message #10478] Tue, 09 December 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds really cool. Tell me more! Is there a link to those Valve magazine articles, or can back issues be found?

Re: High-power SET [message #10480 is a reply to message #10479] Wed, 10 December 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Wayne,

Valve is published by Doc Bottlehead and Co. Brad Brooks is the editor. You can get
the complete set of back issues on CD at reasonable cost. Current ones get posted on
Bottlehead as they are (sporadically) published.

Re: High-power SET [message #10481 is a reply to message #10480] Wed, 10 December 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi David!

Oh, wow. That sort of keeps it "in the family," doesn't it? Now that I think about it, this whole niche field is sort of like a family. Like all families, you've got nice ones and troublemakers, and Dan is a good one. And of couse, we are too. (snicker, snicker, snicker).

By the way, where have you been?!! You and I were kicking stuff around here way back in November, when this place was totally unknown. It still isn't in the search engines, but it certainly isn't unknown anymore. But the last time you and I were here, we were the only ones here.

Not anymore.

Did you get my E-Mail in the last couple of days?

Wayne

Re: High-power SET [message #10482 is a reply to message #10481] Thu, 11 December 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Wayne,

Been busier than a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest deeping my
commitment to things audio and more especially, reproduced music.

I also backed off BECAUSE we were the only people slinging stuff around, and I didn't
want folks to get the idea this was some kind of private message exchange board.

But the party has started, and it's very exciting, I must say!

Yes, got your emails; we've had a couple offline conversations since then.

Just plain high on life lately. Know what I mean?

Great Plains Audiofest [message #10483 is a reply to message #10482] Thu, 11 December 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's what I like to hear. Sounds great!

I'm anxious for us all to get together again, like we did last year at MAF. A group of people is planning to host a Great Plains Audiofest, but our first thought was to do 'em in April, since this doesn't interfere with VSAC. It fills the gap left by MAF.

Trouble is that I think word should be circulating and web sites in place 6 months in advance. I don't know though - Maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask Baker since he's been very successful with this. His events are so smooooooth.

Anyway, I'm really anxious for us all to get together again!!!

Re: Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here? [message #10484 is a reply to message #10468] Thu, 11 December 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Fun question!

After the college system finally gave out, I bought a "high end" ss system but found myself listening less and less. Was eager to hear a tube amp, but too expensive until I went the kit route with an Assemblage ST-40 -- fantastic (still have it and love it). Then moved down to SETs -- even better.

Since Wayne seems to be heavily involved here, I'll mention that my Welborne Laurels sound great with Wayne's Pi 4s.

Re: Nowadays you listen to SET. What path lead you here? [message #10485 is a reply to message #10468] Wed, 17 December 2003 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Guys! Fancy meeting you all in a place like this!

OK here it is:

1950 -1960 --- GE mono system (my Dad's) with a bit of mono Heathkit thrown in in the later years

1960 - 1968 --- Heathkit Rek-o-kut University Coaxial 12"

1968 - 1972(college years)--- Panasonic tube receiver Dual TTand Misc crap speakers, then Dynaco SS intergrated kit S something-80 Hard sounding.

1972 - 1978 --- Nothing! I was a bum!

1978 - 1987 --- Technics, EPI 100's, Some crappy TT (couldn't stand listening to this!)

1987-1989 --- Nothing again! (divorce)

1990- 1997-- NAD, Adcom, HArmon Kardon CD Vandersteen 2Ci

1998-2000 --Adcom H/K CD EAD DAC, Mccormack preamp, Vandersteens and back to tubes finally: Atma-Sphere M-60MkII's!

2000 to Present: Sold the Atma's since the 2Ci's werent a good match and I couldn't take the heat! Bought Bottlehead Paramours and Foreplay, Built Wayne's Theater 4 Pi's and haven't looked back (till now). Now I wish I had the Atma spheres to try with the Pis but oh well! Oh and I recently resurrected my Dad's old Heathkit AA-111 and really enjoy it with the Pis' though the Paramours have more soul!

There you have my audio life in a nutshell! FWIW.

G.

Previous Topic: fisher 400 mini review
Next Topic: OK lets try this one: any Schematic for an amp...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:01:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio