Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » PS for GC
PS for GC [message #10391] Wed, 08 February 2006 13:49 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Brian GT has a nice new snubberised unregulated PS kit with huge amounts of capacitance. The high end version is 50$. I like his GC and listen to it all the time. Has anyone tried the updated PS?
This amp is a great deal.

Re: PS for GC [message #10392 is a reply to message #10391] Thu, 09 February 2006 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Is it pretty much a transformer, rectifier and filter? Nice big coils and caps?

Re: PS for GC [message #10393 is a reply to message #10392] Thu, 09 February 2006 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Its two big caps 10k uf Pannies 8 mur860's on semiconductor diodes on a PC board with the two cap and resistor snubbers. The Trans is not part of the PS you supply that. The upgrade boards with parts are 29$. I am going to try them in my GC. You know I use the AES pre-amp with the GC on my Altecs and it sure sounds nice/ not harsh brittle but nice smooth and sweet. Lot of people who listened want one! Not bad for under 100$. Much nicer than the Sonic T.

Re: PS for GC [message #10394 is a reply to message #10393] Fri, 10 February 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha, that sounds good. That's the direction I would go, for sure. Over the years, I've thrown together a few little circuits like those, some to act as bench supplies, others as shop sound in the garage or whatever. My favorites have generally been simple PS with lots of capacitance and a decent chip amp. I don't really care much for the philosophy of the T amp where quality is concerned although it is an interesting and workable concept, certainly good for making amps that don't weigh much and easy on the power consumption.

Re: PS for GC [message #10395 is a reply to message #10394] Sat, 11 February 2006 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Let me ask you; I through the years have been exposed to quite a few sand amps and I have four or five of them in house; all considored decent. The only amps that have ever stuck in my mind are the class A Threshold and Bedini 10 watt jobs. Every other sand amp sounds almost the same to me except the Carver and I think he deliberately filtered or contoured the amps to sound more like tubes. The NAD stuff has that glazed over sound also.
The GC doesn't sound like that; it is more lively and musical and less irritating. So how come? I can listen to the GC for hours and I do with no irritation. In fact I believe I could live with these amps. Hard to understand any of the dis-connect with this stuff and how it sounds.
Anyway I ordered the PS for my GC and see what it sounds like.

Re: PS for GC [message #10396 is a reply to message #10395] Mon, 13 February 2006 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MB,

I'm building 4 of these for a total of 8 channels. We should try to figure out how get together for a comparison. Rochester in Spring?

Gar.

Re: PS for GC [message #10397 is a reply to message #10396] Mon, 13 February 2006 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi G-Man; Rochester in Spring..thats sounds pretty good. I should have the GC with the new PS complete by then. I never thought to look at the Marchand Catalogue; their stuff has a good rep.
Is Rochester home for you?
Say; with the new little one I'm surprised you have the "free time".

Re: PS for GC [message #10398 is a reply to message #10397] Mon, 13 February 2006 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No, I'm in Toronto. But I'll have to drop into Rochester after the weather warms up to pick up a bandsaw from Martinelli. Thought it might be a good middle ground. You're NYC, no?

There's still lots of "free time". They just happens in 20 minute intervals these days. It's the "new normal" for us.

Re: PS for GC [message #10399 is a reply to message #10398] Tue, 14 February 2006 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; maybe we could drop by Martinelli's and stay on his boat for a few days. He probably wouldn't mind...right? I think he keeps some of that good vino in the cabin fridge too.

Re: PS for GC [message #10400 is a reply to message #10398] Tue, 14 February 2006 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I forgot to answer; yes I'm right outside NYC. How far are you guys from Buffalo?

Previous Topic: Monarchy Audio SM-70
Next Topic: Distortion vs Output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:34:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout