Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Group Build National Semiconductor amp
Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10362] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:31 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm thinking we ought to do a group build of an amp with one of those National Semiconductor chip amps. It would be an easy build, just a power supply, power amp chip and a box. A large current diode bridge rectified supply with a lot of capacitance on the output seems a natural match for the chip amp, and it's easy to make. What do you think?

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10363 is a reply to message #10362] Wed, 18 January 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Is that the amp Nelson talks about in this months AEX?

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10364 is a reply to message #10363] Wed, 18 January 2006 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know, I didn't read the magazine. I was just thinkin' it might be fun to build an amp based on the LM3875 and a simple but meaty power supply.

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10365 is a reply to message #10364] Wed, 18 January 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nelson has a good article in this months issue. Uses high current N-channel JFET's.
The 3875 is the basis of Brian GT's and many others kit. I have one and they sound pretty good. I tried the stock unit and the modded unit and the mod sounds better. I use a nice Hammond toroidal trans and plenty of capacitor.

You might want to check out the AEX article since it deals with a very different and supposedly arcane topology. Nelson claims it produces the same specs as a triode amp. No one is doing those so it might be interesting.

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10366 is a reply to message #10365] Wed, 18 January 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That does sound interesting, I'll have to check it out. I wonder if it's maybe along the same lines as the Selectronic ProFet amp. The Profet is one seriously nice sounding amp. I'll take one to GPAF, and maybe Eric will send one of their preamps to go with it. So if you can come to GPAF, we'll plan on letting you spend some time with it. If you can't make it, maybe I should send it to you later just to check it out. It's really nice.

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10367 is a reply to message #10366] Wed, 18 January 2006 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats very generous; thanks. I am not sure about the circuitry but in the article he compares the circuit to the old Yamaha B1 amp.

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10368 is a reply to message #10362] Sat, 21 January 2006 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip is currently offline  Skip
Chancellor
Wayne,

I don't know what your goal here might be, but I've built 3 of these
and will probabaly do a few more. Maybe I can bring one up to GPAF
now that I've moved to Houston.

This would be a great project for first time builders, particularly
with a PCB such as Brian Bell's. I think Manualblock used his. I've
also used Scott Nixon's, but Brian's is a bit easier. There's also
a great manual .pdf. I probably won't participate in this one, but
will watch and be happy to help.

Off thread, my HT room with 4 Studio 2 Pi's and 1 Studio 1 Pi is
now sounding fairly good. I hung rugs from IKEA on the sidewalls
and it's much nicer. I'm using the Yamaha receiver recently reviewed
in Absolute Sound, about $400, and it does a good job of time
correction between the too-close speakers.

Skip Pack

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10376 is a reply to message #10368] Sun, 22 January 2006 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe this is one of Skip's amps. It drove the 3 Pi Theater's nicely in my listening room. I'm sure it will sound as good at GPAF!

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10377 is a reply to message #10362] Mon, 23 January 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

I think a group build of a chip amp is a great idea. Simple enough for everyone. Amazing performance for the project price. And if everybody on this board has one, it provides a standard to compare other components such as pre, source and speakers.

One suggestion though. My experience shows that the chips are one of the least expensive parts of this project. About $6 each for a single unit at Digikey. A group buy on these would not save much money (saving of $2 to $4 per stereo amp). Transformer and (nice) chassis accounts for most of the cost. A group buy on these two items would have a bigger impact. Also might consider a group buy on high quality output caps too.

gar.

Re: Group Build National Semiconductor amp [message #10378 is a reply to message #10377] Mon, 23 January 2006 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're absolutely right. There would be little economy of scale to leverage, not much point on a ten dollar part. But if everyone wanted to get a real meaty transformer for a high current power supply that didn't ripple, then that might make a group buy something to consider. Just like you said, good transformers, chassis and capacitors are probably the most expensive parts.

Previous Topic: AIWA 8100 - impedance?
Next Topic: Distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:31:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout