Home » Audio » General » Musical Acts
Musical Acts [message #74664] Thu, 29 November 2012 17:39 Go to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Do you think the singers and bands today are less talented then in years past, or do you think the less talented get the most airplay?

I think there's a lot of talent out there, they're just not getting a lot of airtime.
Re: Musical Acts [message #74676 is a reply to message #74664] Fri, 30 November 2012 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I agree that the talent is still there, just harder to find. So much bad music is on the radio anymore.

However, sometimes I wonder how much of that is perception and generational bias.
Re: Musical Acts [message #74797 is a reply to message #74664] Sat, 08 December 2012 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeccoRec is currently offline  DeccoRec
Chancellor
The last great one, Meat Loaf. Meat was a bit eccentric maybe, but to this day you still totally get lost in his productions. Phenomenal! Shocked
Re: Musical Acts [message #74892 is a reply to message #74664] Wed, 12 December 2012 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Meatloaf was good, but as far as getting lost in productions is concerned I think Pink Floyd has them all beat. There is good music out there these days, Rob Thomas comes to mind, but compared to the 70's and 80's......no one quite stacks up in my opinion.
Re: Musical Acts [message #75113 is a reply to message #74664] Mon, 31 December 2012 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's true, in todays music business it's not how talented you are, but who you know that's in the music business. Look at the band System of a Down, the lead singer couldn't sing a note if his life depended on it.
Re: Musical Acts [message #75152 is a reply to message #75113] Sat, 05 January 2013 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
80sgirl is currently offline  80sgirl
Chancellor
Bill Wassilak wrote on Mon, 31 December 2012 23:02
It's true, in todays music business it's not how talented you are, but who you know that's in the music business. Look at the band System of a Down, the lead singer couldn't sing a note if his life depended on it.

I completely agree. It isn't how well you sing anymore. Now it is a business with a business plan that makes people lots of money. Unfortunately the people making the money aren't necessarily the people with the talent.

I think you can still find a lot of talented people outside of the mainstream channels.

80's Girl
Re: Musical Acts [message #75160 is a reply to message #74664] Sat, 05 January 2013 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I agree with Bill, that it is more about who you know than what you know these days. I think a lot of artists also "get famous" based on how crazy they act too.
Re: Musical Acts [message #76334 is a reply to message #75160] Wed, 17 April 2013 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I am sometimes amazed at how good some local bands are, that haven't been "recognized" yet. That is why it is very important that fans be supportive and promote their favorite bands wherever they can. I think it is really sad that bands such as "The Booze" broke up because they did not become successful. Here's a video.

Re: Musical Acts [message #76930 is a reply to message #74664] Mon, 03 June 2013 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I don't know much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkBACbGFiMUthis band but they're good and relatively unnoticed as well. It's an old blues cover but they did a real good job with it.
Re: Musical Acts [message #77234 is a reply to message #74664] Sun, 21 July 2013 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
I think that it is harder to find good music because the technology in the studio has gotten better. They can take a person with moderate talent and make them sound more radio friendly with all the effects and stuff. There are a lot more "studio" artists than there used to be.
Previous Topic: Car To House
Next Topic: Internet Radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 12:42:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout