Home » Audio » Speaker » Best iPod "Boombox" Portable System?
Best iPod "Boombox" Portable System? [message #74347] Fri, 02 November 2012 22:03 Go to next message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
I was just reminded of a couple of years ago when I was doing some teaching jobs and needed a good portable "boombox" style system with near-audiophile quality sound.

After reading lots of reviews and trying out a number of systems, the best competitors being the Bose SoundDock and Altec IM9, I settled on another very impressive system (whose name escapes me at the moment) that unlike the desktop systems, would pack flat into a file box (8x11" and about 3" thick) -- which was perfect for a traveling teacher. Once I took it apart and treated the innards with proper damping, it was pretty impressive.

It's now a few years later... and I'm again curious what are the best portable boombox type systems that can deliver audio that an audiophile wouldn't cringe at. Smile

Anyone?

Re: Best iPod "Boombox" Portable System? [message #76311 is a reply to message #74347] Mon, 15 April 2013 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
I'm curious about this as well. I have heard that Logitech is making really good portable iPod systems now, but I have yet to listen to one for myself. Bose systems have always been an audiophile's friend though, so I would imagine they have a premium sound system for iPods as well.
Re: Best iPod "Boombox" Portable System? [message #76321 is a reply to message #74347] Tue, 16 April 2013 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I don't know if you guys are familiar with and/or trust CNET Reviews, but I just checked them out and they gave the best rating to the Fluance FiSDK500, which is priced at $200-230. A Bose system made the list as well, but it didn't review as highly (about a half star lower) and it cost more than twice as much, at $540-600.
Re: Best iPod "Boombox" Portable System? [message #76512 is a reply to message #76321] Fri, 26 April 2013 15:55 Go to previous message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
timron wrote on Tue, 16 April 2013 14:38
I don't know if you guys are familiar with and/or trust CNET Reviews, but I just checked them out and they gave the best rating to the Fluance FiSDK500, which is priced at $200-230. A Bose system made the list as well, but it didn't review as highly (about a half star lower) and it cost more than twice as much, at $540-600.

I've never heard of Fluance before, but I've been in the market for a portable iPod dock/speaker for a while now, so I will definitely have to check this out. We're going on vacation in about four months and I'd love to be able to take it with us so we can listen to music in the hotel room.
Previous Topic: Headphones in Glasses?
Next Topic: Skullcandy Sweepstakes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:22:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout