Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Repair JBL 2226H cone?
Repair JBL 2226H cone? [message #73650] Fri, 24 August 2012 16:28 Go to next message
Silas is currently offline  Silas
Chancellor
Hi all. I just got some 2226H's in the mail and it appears one of them got damaged during shipping. Is there any way to repair this without buying a recone kit ($70-$100)? I'm not worried so much about the crack since I can fix that with some watered down glue, but I am worried about the chafing on the cone itself. The cone also sits a fair amount below neutral in its range, which worries me as well.

index.php?t=getfile&id=842&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=843&private=0
  • Attachment: WP_000477.jpg
    (Size: 368.71KB, Downloaded 7132 times)
  • Attachment: WP_000480.jpg
    (Size: 285.65KB, Downloaded 6879 times)
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73652 is a reply to message #73650] Fri, 24 August 2012 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That needs a complete recone. You can jury-rig a patch on a table radio speaker with white glue, but you don't want to do that on a high-fidelity speaker like this. It's a waste of material. And the spider is shot too. No amount of "break-in" will fix a sagging spider - it has stretched.

Get a full recone, and make sure it is done by a good technician using genuine JBL parts. If you don't know a place that you're sure you can trust, send it here:
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73658 is a reply to message #73652] Fri, 24 August 2012 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I just got off the phone with my local JBL service center and they're asking $190 for the recone. Considering I bought the woofer for $110, (edited, used to say "brand new"), from a member at another forum who has one more left, I think I'll just buy another driver. Dang!

EDIT: Edited the part where I said it was brand new. It was not, I was mistaken. They were listed as in "good used condition".
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73669 is a reply to message #73658] Sat, 25 August 2012 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
If you're buying another driver from the same seller, I would make sure they use adequate packaging/padding and insure it from loss and damage. When I purchased my JBLs, the seller screwed the driver to a half inch plywood larger than it's 15" diameter to protect it's face. He then bought solid styrofoam to pad all around the inside of the cardboard box. The drivers arrived perfectly and made the trip over the Pacific Ocean safely.
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73670 is a reply to message #73669] Sat, 25 August 2012 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Was the driver that sagged sold as a brand-new driver?

I'm a little bit skeptical about brand-new JBL 2226H drivers at $110.00. They're worth at least three times that and often selling for five times that much, so that's a very good deal.

Not saying it can't happen, maybe someone is just needing to liquidate. But they would have absolutely no trouble unloading new 2226H woofers at $350.00, and they'd be giving a good deal at that price beacuse they're really hard to find these days.

JBL is still not shipping 2226H drivers from the factory, and last I heard it would be October before they delivered any. That is 12 months since the last shipment.

Buying a 2226 for $110.00 and getting it reconed for $190.00 is acceptable, in my opinion. It isn't a great deal, but isn't bad either, not at all. When you are done, you are assured of having a 100% good-as-new driver.

Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73671 is a reply to message #73670] Sat, 25 August 2012 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 09:40

Was the driver that sagged sold as a brand-new driver?

I'm a little bit skeptical about brand-new JBL 2226H drivers at $110.00. They're worth at least three times that and often selling for five times that much, so that's a very good deal.

Not saying it can't happen, maybe someone is just needing to liquidate. But they would have absolutely no trouble unloading new 2226H woofers at $350.00, and they'd be giving a good deal at that price beacuse they're really hard to find these days.

JBL is still not shipping 2226H drivers from the factory, and last I heard it would be October before they delivered any. That is 12 months since the last shipment.

Buying a 2226 for $110.00 and getting it reconed for $190.00 is acceptable, in my opinion. It isn't a great deal, but isn't bad either, not at all. When you are done, you are assured of having a 100% good-as-new driver.

I was mistaken. I re-checked his "for sale" post and they were listed as in "good used condition." I'm not sure why I thought they were brand new.

I agree that it's a reasonable deal, since they are worth so much more. However, being a college student, I'm on a very limited budget with my build and I just don't have the funds allotted right now to pay for a $190 recone.

Also, what is the method by which I would know if a driver has its original cone, or at least a genuine JBL replacement? One of the other drivers he sold me is a slightly different color and I'm skeptical that it is a JBL cone.
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73676 is a reply to message #73671] Sat, 25 August 2012 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some third-party replacement cones are obvious, others are pretty good copies. The only real way to know if you have a genuine JBL recone is to buy it yourself, or through a shop you trust.

If you want to try and examine what you already have, there are several things to look for. One is the basic color and texture of the cone. All JBL cones have irregular "bumps" in the paper pulp on the backside. Lots of recone kits are smooth, which is a tell-tale sign it's a third-party cone.

The shade of grey is pretty consistent, although a genuine cone in the sunlight is lighter. They also tend to have a discoloration near the surround that most aftermarket cones don't have. None of that really helps, I expect, because you'd have to compare with a known good cone side-by-side to notice this anyway.

Truly the best way to know is to measure the speaker, as all genuine JBL cones measure very consistently like the published response chart. An aftermarket cone probably won't match, and some are way off. If they weren't, we wouldn't care so much.

Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73677 is a reply to message #73676] Sun, 26 August 2012 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 23:09

Some third-party replacement cones are obvious, others are pretty good copies. The only real way to know if you have a genuine JBL recone is to buy it yourself, or through a shop you trust.

If you want to try and examine what you already have, there are several things to look for. One is the basic color and texture of the cone. All JBL cones have irregular "bumps" in the paper pulp on the backside. Lots of recone kits are smooth, which is a tell-tale sign it's a third-party cone.

The shade of grey is pretty consistent, although a genuine cone in the sunlight is lighter. They also tend to have a discoloration near the surround that most aftermarket cones don't have. None of that really helps, I expect, because you'd have to compare with a known good cone side-by-side to notice this anyway.

Truly the best way to know is to measure the speaker, as all genuine JBL cones measure very consistently like the published response chart. An aftermarket cone probably won't match, and some are way off. If they weren't, we wouldn't care so much.

Gotcha. I figured the coloration might be of interest, but doesn't the color change over time depending on the conditions it's been in? I was also looking and each cone on my three drivers says 71649 in a white stamp, which is the model number of the JBL cone. Do you think aftermarkets would be allowed to/bold enough to falsify a serial number stamp? If not, I'd say these are genuine.

Another update, I've resolved the issue with the seller and everything is hunky-dory. Smile
Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73683 is a reply to message #73677] Mon, 27 August 2012 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad you got things worked out to your satisfaction.

Cones will fade over time, especially when exposed to sunlight.

There's a little white ID sticker placed on the frame by the factory, by the way. It's usually on one of the basket legs.

Re: Repair JBL 2226H cone [message #73687 is a reply to message #73683] Mon, 27 August 2012 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
The sticker is on the frame, but I wasn't worried about the frame. I'm sure it's genuine since it has a JBL S/N. I assume the cones are genuine since they have some writing I've seen on other JBL cones and they have the correct model number on the cone.
Previous Topic: How much duratex to cover three 4Pi's?
Next Topic: 3 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:14:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout