Home » Audio » Source » Rethreading Eaten Cassettes
Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73136] Tue, 26 June 2012 07:23 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When cassettes were in vogue, do you remember how frequently the tape deck would eat them? Then you were stuck with miles of tape you had to try to rethread; I always had a hard time getting it rewound at the proper tension and they were never the same. Were you ever able to get them back the way they should be?
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73163 is a reply to message #73136] Thu, 28 June 2012 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Sometimes. I used a vary speed cordless drive and a 6 sided wooden pencil. Get it nearly all in , then do the rest by hand. Most of the time however the tape was crinkled by the player and would glitch when played. Sad

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73200 is a reply to message #73163] Wed, 04 July 2012 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Using the cordless and a pencil was pretty smart and a lot faster than doing it by hand the entire time. Yes, the crinkling sucked, but I don't know what could have been done about it. It's not like you can iron the tape.
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73201 is a reply to message #73200] Wed, 04 July 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
You can't iron them? Very Happy So that's what I did wrong.

I still have a Harmon Kardon high end recorder (back from when the HQ was in New York). Has everything, Dolby, B and C with HX Pro metal etc. I tried it out a while ago on some metal tapes and it is surprisingly good. But with the ease of making a CD of going to a drive directly, it is rather a moot point. I just got a 64gig thumb drive.... do you have any idea how much music you can stuff on it... even uncompressed it is huge.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73598 is a reply to message #73136] Thu, 16 August 2012 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ironing tape? Laughing

Digital may have a few drawbacks but it is really hard to argue with its convenience in both production and storage. I certainly don't miss my jumbled pile of tapes or having to rethread them.
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #73659 is a reply to message #73200] Fri, 24 August 2012 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
audioaudio90 wrote on Wed, 04 July 2012 10:46
Using the cordless and a pencil was pretty smart and a lot faster than doing it by hand the entire time. Yes, the crinkling sucked, but I don't know what could have been done about it. It's not like you can iron the tape.

That is a really good idea, I wish I would've thought of that back then. Once in a while I could decently rethread a tape by hand, but usually I would just give up. I never knew anyone who could consistently fix a tape, it was just one of the irritating things about cassettes.
Re: Rethreading Eaten Cassettes [message #77914 is a reply to message #73136] Wed, 25 September 2013 20:57 Go to previous message
Fannie is currently offline  Fannie
Chancellor
I always hated it when one of my cassettes was eaten. Even when I was able to re thread them, they never sounded the same again.
Previous Topic: New Cartridge
Next Topic: One sided record albums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:11:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout