Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Meniscusaudio Inductors (Inductors)
Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72943] Wed, 06 June 2012 12:59 Go to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
I'm thinking of using these Inductors for some 4PI speakers... Anyone have any experience with this brand?

http://meniscusaudio.com/100mh-14-ga-p-693.html
http://meniscusaudio.com/150mh-14-ga-p-695.html
http://meniscusaudio.com/050mh-14-ga-p-683.html
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72945 is a reply to message #72943] Wed, 06 June 2012 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They're more expensive than the Jantzen 15ga. Parts Express sells and Wayne furnishes with the upgraded kit. I didn't take the time to compare the DCRs but that would be the important thing, not that a few ohms makes much difference.

The one sure thing in audible choices is to go with Erse steel core when it comes to deep bass.
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72946 is a reply to message #72945] Thu, 07 June 2012 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I like Deep Bass!

Erse Steel core

I see the 14 GA Super Q Coil from Erse... Do you run with these? Do you run these in all 3 spots on the crossover?

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils14Gauge

These look nice!
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72949 is a reply to message #72946] Thu, 07 June 2012 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We use Erse Super Q (laminated steel-core) coils in the constant directivity cornerhorns - but do not use them in the matched-directivity two-ways. The woofer in the cornerhorns is only used for bass and so an iron core is fine. But the two-ways run the woofer through the midrange, and I suggest air-core coils only for them.

Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72950 is a reply to message #72949] Thu, 07 June 2012 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 07 June 2012 10:07

We use Erse Super Q (laminated steel-core) coils in the constant directivity cornerhorns - but do not use them in the matched-directivity two-ways. The woofer in the cornerhorns is only used for bass and so an iron core is fine. But the two-ways run the woofer through the midrange, and I suggest air-core coils only for them.

Yes! Don't do what I say, do what I do! Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes

index.php?t=getfile&id=792&private=0
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72951 is a reply to message #72949] Thu, 07 June 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Ok, Thanks Wayne. I'll run air for sure.
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72952 is a reply to message #72951] Thu, 07 June 2012 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just to clarify: I think Bill's suggestion "to go with Erse steel core when it comes to deep bass" is good, but only when it really is "deep bass". If midrange runs through the coil, it needs to be an air-core coil. I think a good rule of thumb is to limit iron-core coils to woofer circuits used below 300Hz, maybe 500Hz tops. Above that, the inductance required is small enough that an air-core coil is not all that large anyway. Helps reduce hysteresis and saturation, and the resulting intermodulation distortion that is caused by it.

Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72953 is a reply to message #72952] Thu, 07 June 2012 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Right on. I'll keep that in mind.

Bill, On each of your crossovers you have 2 large black capacitors. One real tall standing up on your crossover and then another about half the height. What is the scoop on what you are using? If I may ask.

Thanks,
Andy
Re: Meniscusaudio Inductors [message #72982 is a reply to message #72953] Wed, 13 June 2012 11:53 Go to previous message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Hi Mantha3,

I'll jump in here for Bill. The Caps you see are Obbligato film and oil caps. They are very good for their price and are affordable for the highish values you need for crossovers. I used to use motor run caps from GE but now also use the Obbligatos in my 4 Pis. Really good stuff. I also use them as parafeed caps in my tube amps/preamps.

Garland
Previous Topic: Speaker Grills
Next Topic: Line level or High level inputs for Subs w/ plate amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:37:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers