Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi speaker instructions
4pi speaker instructions [message #72705] Sat, 12 May 2012 21:37 Go to next message
blacklabel0730 is currently offline  blacklabel0730
Chancellor
I purchased 4pi, 3pi subs, and 2pi kits. The 2pi and 3pi subs plans do not look too difficult to assemble. The 4pi speaker build is a much more detailed build. Looking at the 4pi plans, I feel like they are almost missing instructional pages. Are there any step by step instructions to build these speakers besides looking at pictures and posts from other 4pi builders?

I am not exactly sure this is going to be something my dad and I are going to be able to do without more details than just the dimensions. Embarassed

What are other peoples experience with giving the 4pi plans to cabinet makers? We should have no problem finishing the build once the boxes are built.
Re: 4pi speaker instructions [message #72706 is a reply to message #72705] Sat, 12 May 2012 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It really is a pretty simple cabinet. Just a box, really. If you give those plans to a cabinetmaker, they will have no trouble building the boxes for you. Have them call or email me if they have any questions.

Re: 4pi speaker instructions [message #72707 is a reply to message #72705] Sun, 13 May 2012 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Are you hung up on the port? I was at first, and I've seen other queries on it? If so, here's help.

A closer look at the plans will show that it's just a box 3 1/2" x 6" x 10" internal that gets glued to the inside of the baffle. Make the horn cut-out first, then you will discover that the side of the box is just a fraction away from the side of the cabinet. It needs to be close so I just shimmed it away from the side about 1/4" IIRC and glued it in place, square to the horn cut-out. After 24 hours for the glue to dry, I drilled a hole large enough for my flush trim bit to pass through and routed the opening with the port as it's own guide. A little clean-up work with a file and it's done. Simple!

Other than that, the 4Pi is just a box, although the bracing Wayne likes to use is, for me, a little troublesome. I can't seem to cut to size after assembly. So what I do is make extra pieces cut the same time as the tops and bottoms, cut out most of the internal material, and use'm as "window pane" braces. They also aid in a nice, square, glue-up.

index.php?t=getfile&id=773&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=774&private=0

In the second, 4Pi pic, you'll see a brace which is like what Wayne uses which is under a "window pane" brace you can't see. The woofer cut-out occupies so much of the baffle, I couldn't place a second "window" as I would usually do.

Hope this helps.
Re: 4pi speaker instructions [message #72708 is a reply to message #72705] Sun, 13 May 2012 13:16 Go to previous message
blacklabel0730 is currently offline  blacklabel0730
Chancellor
Thank you Wayne for your willingness to answer any questions. Bill, thanks for the pictures. I have talked to a cabinet maker and am going to have the boxes made. The last thing I would want, would be to have to redo them due to my/my dad's inexperience with wood working. Funny because we have both fully restored muscle cars, and he used to be a crew chief for an injected alcohol dragster but these 4pi boxes are making us rethink the build. I guess without the right tools things become very difficult, very quickly.
Previous Topic: $5 drivers as computer Pis
Next Topic: Frequency response question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:32:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout