Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » $5 drivers as computer Pis
$5 drivers as computer Pis [message #72653] Wed, 09 May 2012 19:23 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Couldn't resist these 8" Peerless closeouts which I'll put with some closeout Philips tweeters I've had forever.

Tried to fit'm in a really small box but it took a lot of KY... Laughing

index.php?t=getfile&id=772&private=0

1.1 cu ft with an F3 of 56Hz and a pretty fair bump; maybe a full mH?
Re: $5 drivers as computer Pis [message #72660 is a reply to message #72653] Wed, 09 May 2012 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, yeah, those look like they'll work nicely. They look like they're tuned pretty similarly to Alpha 10's, maybe just a smidge smaller box. I'll bet they sound kind of like two Pi speakers. Now that I think about it, in a larger tower, they'd probably be like two Pi towers too. But I'll bet you'll like that small box, plenty of growl in a small package. Wonder how they sound in the midrange - That's always where the rubber hits the road for a midwoofer.

Re: $5 drivers as computer Pis [message #72683 is a reply to message #72660] Fri, 11 May 2012 18:35 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was able to measure the 8 inchers and bummed to find out the Fs is actually 52, not 42, and didn't want to commit to buying panels, veneering etc for an F3 of 66Hz.

However, I just completed taking down the ratty old Target-On-Sale bookcases that housed all my shop stuff and had the pieces stacked by the door to go to the curb......5/8 by 11 1/2 particle board.....faux cherry veneer.....

So today I cut it up into box sides! However (there's always a however), I discovered just how cheap the construction was, each of the panels has longitudinal voids as wide as the particle board strips, 2 per panel! These boxes wil sing!

Recycling's a wonderful thing for the environment, tho', and the woofers are from India, so....soon I'll be listening to the Green Ghandis! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Previous Topic: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build
Next Topic: 4pi speaker instructions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:20:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout