Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi vs 3pi plans (debating which to do...)
4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72602] Mon, 07 May 2012 18:53 Go to next message
jayhawk785 is currently offline  jayhawk785
Esquire

Hey Wayne,

I've been having a serious internal debate about which to build, 4pi 3pi econowave standard/deluxe, etc. I think I've narrowed it down to doing a 4pi or 3pi build. Would it be possible to get the plans to both--figure I'll decide based on overal dimensions and costs when I add it up.

I'm basically looking for a solution for behind the screen LCR, so size (depth) is a bit important. What is also important is barrier factors (distance/placement from walls etc).

Steve
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72603 is a reply to message #72602] Mon, 07 May 2012 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
Cabinet sizes, efficiency, and prices can be found here: http://www.pispeakers.com/Prices.html
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72604 is a reply to message #72603] Mon, 07 May 2012 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

Ya, I had found the sizes--but I'd plan on sourcing parts from various locations--short of maybe the crossover if it can be had pre-built.

Probably just the plans for 4 pi--and crossover schematic if not included for now. If i find those too big, I'll go for the 3's.
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72613 is a reply to message #72604] Mon, 07 May 2012 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please decide first. I kind of don't like sending out too many plans. I've had some folks copy my designs and make commercial offerings out of them, so I started limiting my freebies. Please understand.

As for how to decide, the thing to do is to choose which midwoofer family you prefer. The sizes of the boxes are nearly the same, so your decision criteria really boils down to which midwoofer "flavor" you prefer.
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72618 is a reply to message #72613] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

Thanks for the response, Wayne--I'm certainly not looking to go into business, I have enough trouble keeping track of my own projects as-is, but appreciate your desire to keep them locked down.

that said, is it possible to tweak the cabinet depth at all? If i were looking to keep them 11-10" deep, is it possible to modify the cabinet height to accommodate the box volume without significantly impacting the response/sound?

I'd like to go with the 4pi--I'm just concerned about the overall depth.

s
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72620 is a reply to message #72618] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I wouldn't suggest modifying the plans. The internal standing waves line up in specific locations and it is impotnat that a pressure node not be on the driver or port. Smaller cabinets can be tweaked without much worry because the standing waves are higher in frequency and insulation is pretty effective at damping them. But these larger cabinets shift the modes down in frequency, making the insulation less effective at damping the modes. So source position in relation to the cabinet walls becomes more important.

Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72622 is a reply to message #72602] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

Is there a thread here that you'd recommend for read for the differences in the 2pi/3pi/4pi response?

My room isnt huge (23'x16') but it does open into other areas. My real goal here is accurate, punchy theater-esque response that these pro drivers can deliver. I can deal with 14-15" depth, as long as they can cuddle the wall--but would i need to worry about excursion/air movement from these blowing the screen around?
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72623 is a reply to message #72602] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interesting thread. I was hoping for a description of the different characteristics of the JBL and AE mid-woofers.

How flattering that someone has decided to rip-off your designs; care to name names?
Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72624 is a reply to message #72622] Tue, 08 May 2012 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Look at the spec sheets here:
Notice the little whitepaper icon next to the description of each model. Click on that and it will show you the response chart.

Re: 4pi vs 3pi plans [message #72625 is a reply to message #72602] Tue, 08 May 2012 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire

Hey Wayne, based on that--I'll go the 3pi route. I'll also not be reproducing them and selling Smile

So whatever literature I need for crossover/build I'd appreciate it.

Do you sell the 3pi crossover prebuilt separate from the kits?

Steve
Previous Topic: The right waveguide
Next Topic: Audition in Austin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:46:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers