Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Power/pre amp question for Pi Speakers
Power/pre amp question for Pi Speakers [message #72535] Fri, 04 May 2012 20:42 Go to next message
blacklabel0730 is currently offline  blacklabel0730
Chancellor
I am building the 4pi with dual flanking subs and 2pi for surround. Would this set up work well?

Marantz AV7005 Pre-Amp Processor 7.2
with
dual mono block 200w Emotiva for L and R front speakers
5x200 Emotiva power amp for subs and surround

I would run both subs on the power amp with the channels connected to the sub 1 and sub 2 and run 2 more channels for the surrounds L and R

I can choose crossover frequency's for all channels and plan to set the crossover freq. for the subs using this method instead of low pass crossovers.

My question is, is this a good idea? If not, how should I set this up? I am looking to spend 4K max to power these speakers. I am using this system for both stereo and movies.
Re: Power/pre amp question for Pi Speakers [message #72536 is a reply to message #72535] Fri, 04 May 2012 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blacklabel0730 is currently offline  blacklabel0730
Chancellor
I also upgraded compression drivers and got (2) JBL 2226h.
Re: Power/pre amp question for Pi Speakers [message #72537 is a reply to message #72536] Fri, 04 May 2012 22:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It sounds like you have thought it through and have a reasonable plan. If all the amp channels are able to be run independently - without some kind of processor - then you should be able to use them. Basically everything but the subs are run full range, without any processing. Optionally, you can high-pass the mains and surrounds, but no higher than the Helmholtz frequency. We aren't looking for the conventional crossover - we're looking for blending. So we want the mains and surrounds to be used through the whole band.

The sub crossover is ideally configurable with respect to frequency and slope. Flanking subs are unique in that work best with low-order slopes. A fourth-order slope is fine for more distant subs, but flanking subs work better with second-order slopes. You want a gradual fadeout in the actave above 100Hz.

Previous Topic: B&C ME45 1" Exponential Horn 90x40 2-Bolt
Next Topic: JBL Polarity - may have wired 4Pis out of phase?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:57:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio