Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
Looking At NOS EL 34's...! [message #9813] Wed, 13 September 2006 19:15 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anyone see the prices they are getting for these tubes? In fact for any of the popular NOS tubes? I see 150$ for a single EL 34 is not uncommon. Time to try some unusual tubes; like the 6Ah4 gt. Something has to give man; this is rediculous. Are we going to build amps then be priced out of the markett for tubes?

SED/Wing-C [message #9814 is a reply to message #9813] Wed, 13 September 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Did you ever try these? What was your impression?

Don't go crazy on the 6AH4 and make them the next hot tube. I still need the for my deHavilland Verve pre....

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9815 is a reply to message #9814] Thu, 14 September 2006 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny you should ask. I bought a matched set of the winged C's about a yr ago. One just failed with light use. I guess that can happen to any tube at anytime though. The sound of the tube is nice; rich and full.
I have all my 6Ah4's I need but guess what? They too are creeping up in price. I didn't realise they were used as much as they apparently are.
What happened to Guinevere; you don't use that amp?

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9816 is a reply to message #9815] Thu, 14 September 2006 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You're right about tube prices, and obviously not just the ones we've mentioned. This hobby could get real 'pensive over the next few years. Vintage tubes - just forget about them. Everytime I go to an auction/flea market/yard sale, I look for old radios - just for the tubes. I just recently picked up a couple of console radios from the 50s for $10; both have 6V6 PP amps. One has a couple of TungSol 12AX7s, which are easily worth more than what I paid.

If you can bias each tube in your amp, I'd just get a single Wing/C and be done with it. Thanks for mentioning the failure. I purchased a matched quad about a year ago for my Cayin. I'll have to keep an eye one them.

Guinevere is in need of serious repair. I was never very happy with the copper chassis. I used copper that was too thin and it's pretty microphonic. I can tap the top plate and hear the ringing. Also, the last time it was running I lost a ground somewhere and heard nothing but 120Hz buzzing.

About 6 months ago I picked up a deHavilland Verve and a Yamamoto A-08S. It's a very nice combination, so I'm not real pushed to fix Guinevere any time soon.....

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9817 is a reply to message #9816] Thu, 14 September 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; I'll probably replace the tube; or maybe run down to Sam Ash and grab a couple Groove Tubes EL 34's EDC's. They seem to sound pretty good in my friends amp. I have looked to find out exactly why there are four different kinds of EL 34 Groove Tubes. I know one is a 6Ca7 and another one is a re-branded Sovtek; but the other two look different to me than whats out there. I know I like their 12Ax7's in the driver stage.
On Guinevere you at least know all the parts can be re-used if you decide not to re-do the chassis.

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9818 is a reply to message #9817] Thu, 14 September 2006 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
FWIW, I love EL34's but I tried a quad of EH not long ago and was really disappointed. Not sure they don't just need more time on them, but so far, not my favorite. I do like the older Svetlana (bought several years ago). As for vintage, I was lucky enough to buy a vintage EL34 based amp about 8 years ago and guess what it had in it? Yep, an almost new (tested new) quad of Amprex BB's! Now those are hard to beat!

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9819 is a reply to message #9818] Thu, 14 September 2006 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; we are forever doomed to lust after tubes that are being priced out of our reach. It stinks knowing your amp could sound that much better but for the price of a tube.

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9820 is a reply to message #9819] Fri, 15 September 2006 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
During my time with 'Ella" I used Valve Art and JJ EL-34's and EH 6CA7's. I thought the JJ's were too tipped up, the Valve Arts kinda dark and the EH's juuust right. These were the 'fat bottle' 6CA7, not the EH EL-34.

Re: SED/Wing-C [message #9821 is a reply to message #9820] Fri, 15 September 2006 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats what I am trying to figure out. The Groove Tubes line-up includes four type's of EL 34's and one 6Ca7. They all look like other brands and one looks like the fat bottles. I need to do some research on this because they can be bought down the block from me so very convienient. And they run the same prices as the dealers for the same tubes.

Re:Many Banthans died to bring us this information: [message #9822 is a reply to message #9821] Fri, 15 September 2006 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

You can see how the VA body flares immediately from the base and up where the EH flares farther but more gradually. And it's a bit shorter.
e.g. "Fat Bottle"

Previous Topic: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp
Next Topic: Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:07:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers