Home » Audio » Source » Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs?
Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72360] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:06 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I've recently ordered a lot of live music on Blu-ray from Netflix.
And the quality of HD sound is awesome.

I also received a regular update from AnyDVD, and the changes in this rev are:

7.0.3.0 2012 04 19
- New (Blu-ray): Updated decryption keys
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new BD+ protection
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new Java based protection
- New (DVD): Support for new copy protections
- Fix (Blu-ray): Online connection was required for certain discs,
where it shouldn't be necessary

- Fix (Blu-ray): Speedmenu could crash with certain Blu-ray discs
- Fix (Blu-ray): Corrupted menus if region code removal is enabled
with some discs
- Change (Blu-ray): Removed limit of max. 64 title keys
- Some minor fixes and improvements
- Updated languages

I haven't really researched this, but could it be true that Sony is now requiring an internet connection on BR discs. If so, it would seem like we've given control of HD to a very greedy giant that has no qualms about how invasive they can be.

Anyone heard anything about this?

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72361 is a reply to message #72360] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I've never heard of this. However, we don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, so we're still stuck in the dark ages, watching regular old DVDs, haha!

Seriously though, I really hope we're not moving towards a trend where internet is a requirement just to watch a movie on a disc!
Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72364 is a reply to message #72360] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Two different things:

1. Many BluRay disks have software that allows extra features to be accessed via internet. It's not a requirement, it's just an added feature. I never use it, myself. Not any particular reason, just haven't. These features are related to the disk.

2. Many BlueRay players (and most other devices these days, for that matter) have internet connectivity in order to automatically apply updates. It's purely a convenience. These updates are related to the player.

Just like most software programs for your PC will auto-update if you are connected to the internet, many devices will auto-update their firmware if they are connected. If not, you can usually manually update using some form of removable media. But the auto-update function is usually pretty painless.

I have run into flaky devices that I didn't want to auto-update because of the risk of bricking the device. But it's rare these days. Everybody but the worst novices does a pretty good job of implementing an algorithm that loads new firware into an isolated "sandbox" in device memory, then tests it before rolling it in. If anything goes wrong, it backs it out automatically.

Again, sometimes devices are made that don't do this well, but most times, they have that part down long before the device hits the shelves. They may not have the runtime firmware nailed down on day one, but they usually have the auto-upgrade feature working well. They depend on it pretty heavily, trying to rush stuff out.

Bottom line is, unless you have some really cheap knock-off device that you've had trouble with, I'd probably configure it to stay connected and obtain updates automatically. That way it will always have the most updated firmware and you won't have to mess with it.

Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72365 is a reply to message #72361] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
iLoveiPod wrote on Tue, 24 April 2012 18:15
I've never heard of this. However, we don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, so we're still stuck in the dark ages, watching regular old DVDs, haha!

Seriously though, I really hope we're not moving towards a trend where internet is a requirement just to watch a movie on a disc!

Me too! I was thinking the other night that DVDs are the only product that I own that threatens me with fines and imprisonment and locks the menu so you can't not watch them.

I don't copy Blu-ray discs because the blanks are still around $15 a piece. Considering the lack of new movies that I can bear watching, regular DVDs aren't worth copying either.

But HD surround sound on BR is incredibly better than stereo on cd or vinyl. I suddenly feel like I have a collection of mono quality music discs.

One disc I was awed by is The Biggest Bang, which is a live recording of the Stones from 2005 in Austin, TX. I think Jagger is about 70, Charlie Watts is very gray headed, and Keith Richards is as ugly as ever. They sound better than they ever did. They seem to really enjoy touring.

They are richer than god, so it's not for the money.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72367 is a reply to message #72364] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 24 April 2012 18:40

Two different things:

1. Many BluRay disks have software that allows extra features to be accessed via internet. It's not a requirement, it's just an added feature. I never use it, myself. Not any particular reason, just haven't. These features are related to the disk.

2. Many BlueRay players (and most other devices these days, for that matter) have internet connectivity in order to automatically apply updates. It's purely a convenience. These updates are related to the player.

Just like most software programs for your PC will auto-update if you are connected to the internet, many devices will auto-update their firmware if they are connected. If not, you can usually manually update using some form of removable media. But the auto-update function is usually pretty painless.

I have run into flaky devices that I didn't want to auto-update because of the risk of bricking the device. But it's rare these days. Everybody but the worst novices does a pretty good job of implementing an algorithm that loads new firware into an isolated "sandbox" in device memory, then tests it before rolling it in. If anything goes wrong, it backs it out automatically.

Again, sometimes devices are made that don't do this well, but most times, they have that part down long before the device hits the shelves. They may not have the runtime firmware nailed down on day one, but they usually have the auto-upgrade feature working well. They depend on it pretty heavily, trying to rush stuff out.

Bottom line is, unless you have some really cheap knock-off device that you've had trouble with, I'd probably configure it to stay connected and obtain updates automatically. That way it will always have the most updated firmware and you won't have to mess with it.

I have one of the first Sony BR players that was available. I think the firmware revision it started with was 2.x. It doesn't have an internet connection. I have manually updated many times to the current 5.5 rev. It's been a flaky device from the start. I think I will go with a Panasonic as a replacement. Their equipment gets good reviews and costs half as much.

What I would like to be able to determine is whether they are upgrading my player or just installing more copy protection. BR was definitely not ready for prime time when it was released. I find myself wondering if HD-DVD wouldn't have been a better product.

Floyd

Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72368 is a reply to message #72367] Tue, 24 April 2012 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm definitely glad BluRay made it on top. It's a better format. Much better, to tell the truth.

But I hear what you're saying about Sony. They've definitely tumbled from their once pretty lofty position, being probably the best video equipment manufacturer for a while. They made excellent pro gear, excellent monitors and were really on top of the game. Their first plasma screens were really great. But the last few years, I'm not seeing that from them any more. I agree with you that Panasonic is a better brand. Kind of surprised me to find that out a few years back, but sure enough, Sony has toppled.

So get a better BlueRay player. Maybe try that nice new Denon unit, the 4010UDCI. I have their first super-player, the 3800BDCI, and it's stellar. It uses good parts throughout, like a boutique niche-market offering. I would expect their new player is even better.

Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72371 is a reply to message #72360] Wed, 25 April 2012 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Sounds like one of those things where you may not NEED an internet connection to play a Blu-Ray, but it sure does make everything easier if you do.
Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72373 is a reply to message #72371] Wed, 25 April 2012 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, you don't need an internet connection at all.

Again, some DVDs and BluRay disks have extra features offered that can be accessed through an internet connection but they are not required to play the main content of the disk. You can view the movie without having a connection the internet, and it isn't any easier or better if you do.

Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72379 is a reply to message #72368] Wed, 25 April 2012 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 24 April 2012 19:27

I'm definitely glad BluRay made it on top. It's a better format. Much better, to tell the truth.

But I hear what you're saying about Sony. They've definitely tumbled from their once pretty lofty position, being probably the best video equipment manufacturer for a while. They made excellent pro gear, excellent monitors and were really on top of the game. Their first plasma screens were really great. But the last few years, I'm not seeing that from them any more. I agree with you that Panasonic is a better brand. Kind of surprised me to find that out a few years back, but sure enough, Sony has toppled.

So get a better BlueRay player. Maybe try that nice new Denon unit, the 4010UDCI. I have their first super-player, the 3800BDCI, and it's stellar. It uses good parts throughout, like a boutique niche-market offering. I would expect their new player is even better.

Hi Wayne,

Can you give a summary of the difference between HD-DVD and BluRay? I never really kept up with the difference between the two. I just saw it as another format war like VHS and Sonys version of analog video recording.

I think I remember someone saying that BR was an extensible format which I took to mean that it could be modified in the future.

Floyd

Re: Internet connection required on Blu-Ray Discs? [message #72380 is a reply to message #72373] Wed, 25 April 2012 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
I could be misunderstanding the notes on the AnyDVD update. Maybe that author had created code that forced an internet connection when it wasn't necessary.

Floyd

Previous Topic: MP3 Players in Stores
Next Topic: iPod vs non-iPod MP3 Players
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:35:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout