Home » Audio » Craftsmen » PSD2002 or B&C DE250
PSD2002 or B&C DE250 [message #72321] Sun, 22 April 2012 10:48 Go to next message
Sebrof is currently offline  Sebrof
Esquire
I bought a pair of cabinets from a longtime member here, approximately 4 cu ft and installed Eminence Delta 12 LF and Eminence PSD2002 drivers. At low and moderate volumes they sound great with either a PP EL84 or a SE 2A3 amp. But at higher volumes (I estimate over 90 db??) the CDs start to misbehave a little. OK, a lot. I'm in a 12' x 13' room.
I used the 3 pi XO. 2 channel music only.
Any suggestions for improving?
I have my eyes on the B&C CDs and am wondering how much of an upgrade they are over the Eminence drivers I have now.
TIA for any advice.
Re: PSD2002 or B&C DE250 [message #72332 is a reply to message #72321] Sun, 22 April 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The DE250 is considerably smoother, as confirmed by measurements and by ear. The PSD2002 is a great low-cost entry-level driver, and is also suitable for high-output sound reinforcement use. But the DE250 is definitely more refined.

Re: PSD2002 or B&C DE250 [message #72340 is a reply to message #72332] Mon, 23 April 2012 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, I'll keep that in mind.
Actually, the reason things get a bit harsh is because one of the CDs seems to be defective. I narrowed it down to certain passages of music, and when I switch the driver to the other channel the nastyness follows the driver. It basically breaks up and makes noise, where the other driver plays fine. So the Eminence CD may work for me but I won't know until I get 2 good ones to listen to.
Re: PSD2002 or B&C DE250 [message #72399 is a reply to message #72340] Thu, 26 April 2012 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Sebrof wrote on Mon, 23 April 2012 06:59
Thanks Wayne, I'll keep that in mind.
Actually, the reason things get a bit harsh is because one of the CDs seems to be defective. I narrowed it down to certain passages of music, and when I switch the driver to the other channel the nastyness follows the driver. It basically breaks up and makes noise, where the other driver plays fine. So the Eminence CD may work for me but I won't know until I get 2 good ones to listen to.

Just to follow up - I received the replacement diaphragm for the Eminence CD yesterday. So far so good, they sound very very good. I didn't realize that the driver was bad, and then didn't realize that even when it wasn't breaking up it was still mucking up the sound something fierce.
Now that I have good drivers these speakers sound very smooth so I may not need the B&C CDs after all...at least not for a while.
Re: PSD2002 or B&C DE250 [message #72400 is a reply to message #72399] Thu, 26 April 2012 15:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, the PSD2002 is not a bad driver at all. Sounds very good, much better than the Seleniums in the same price range, in my opinion. The top octave doesn't sound zingy like many other titanium drivers do, but it does have plenty of output in the top octave.

The DE250 is smoother, but the PSD2002 is really good too. Sounds like you just had a bad driver, and that's a whole other issue. A compression driver can be really nasty sounding if it is damaged. They usually fail completely and make no sound, but they can fail like yours did, and then they just make uber-amplified distortion.

Previous Topic: A micro-programmable tube tracer
Next Topic: easy bath setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:11:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout