Home » Audio » General » Headphone listening (not getting warm fuzzies)
Headphone listening [message #72086] Tue, 10 April 2012 19:17 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Slowly but surely I'm getting back in the audio swing of things. Situation is such that serious listening is done only late at night using phones. I know binaural listening is almost cult-like in its following, but for the life I can't figure out why. I feel no emotional connection to the music.....none. Currently have Grado 325 cans and a Creek OBH-11 head amp; sources vary but mostly use a Sony HD tuner.....
Re: Headphone listening [message #72087 is a reply to message #72086] Tue, 10 April 2012 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I was always like that too. That plus the fact that even the most expensive headphones always annoyed me to wear. Some are uncomfortable, all make me feel tethered. Even wireless units don't satisfy. I guess I'm just not a headphone guy.

Re: Headphone listening [message #72088 is a reply to message #72087] Tue, 10 April 2012 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree. I use phones for cleaning up pops and clicks in digital copies of my LPs, but otherwise have no use for them. The exception is on airplanes - a good mp3 player and good in the ear phones are nearly a must on long trips.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Headphone listening [message #72091 is a reply to message #72086] Wed, 11 April 2012 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One thing I like about headphones is that I will hear things I don't necessarily hear when listening via speakers. It's also easier to pay attention to panning, for instance. That said, I don't like the tethered feeling either, so I don't use them that often.
Re: Headphone listening [message #72097 is a reply to message #72086] Wed, 11 April 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rogerking is currently offline  rogerking
Chancellor
I do not mind them but its not something I could do all of the time and you will never catch me with 'ear buds', those look creepy. I just love hearing something nice and clear, its not too much to ask, right?
Re: Headphone listening [message #72103 is a reply to message #72086] Wed, 11 April 2012 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
I actually haven't used legitimate head phones for quite some time. For me, they are just too big & bulky. I much prefer the 'ear buds'. They are just more convenient for me.
Re: Headphone listening [message #72132 is a reply to message #72086] Fri, 13 April 2012 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Have you tried using crossfeed? I personally don't like listening to my head amp rig without a bit of crossfeed. Moves the soundstage forward and down a little for me, instead of making it sound like it's coming to me straight from the side.
Re: Headphone listening [message #72146 is a reply to message #72132] Sat, 14 April 2012 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Shane, thanks for reminding me about crossfeed. Totally forgot about it. Found a couple of schematics over at headwize that will be easy to breadboard......

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=meier2_prj.htm

Re: Headphone listening [message #72147 is a reply to message #72146] Sat, 14 April 2012 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
colinhester wrote on Sat, 14 April 2012 19:31
Shane, thanks for reminding me about crossfeed. Totally forgot about it. Found a couple of schematics over at headwize that will be easy to breadboard......

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=meier2_prj.htm

Colin, here's a link to some DIY xfeed pics of mine. One is for my SOHA it's a Meier lite.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x-feed.htm

I think I adjusted the parts till it suited me IIRC. On my photography page you can see a full blown DIY Meier I did for my first Millet hybrid (Corda Cross clone). Tons of wires, but I never got any interference or RF noise amazingly. Somewhere I have a PCB and front/back plates for the Meier Corda Cross-1. Jan was selling the PCB and plates years ago when he was getting rid of all his old stock. I've just never built it. The full blown version works quite nice though.

http://shanemoorephotography.smugmug.com/Electronics/My-DIY-Equipment/13836992_WrNXqb#!i=1014043591&k=i9GDX

Here's a Corda Cross that was selling a while back. I really need to build that thing!!! L

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558319/meier-audio-corda-cross-1-crossfeed-unit-brand-new-never-used-now-sold
Re: Headphone listening [message #72149 is a reply to message #72086] Sun, 15 April 2012 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
colinhester wrote on Tue, 10 April 2012 19:17
Slowly but surely I'm getting back in the audio swing of things. Situation is such that serious listening is done only late at night using phones. I know binaural listening is almost cult-like in its following, but for the life I can't figure out why. I feel no emotional connection to the music.....none. Currently have Grado 325 cans and a Creek OBH-11 head amp; sources vary but mostly use a Sony HD tuner.....

I do a lot of my "serious listening" late at night, as well. That's why I love a good pair of headphones, although I'll be the first to admit that they're hard to come by. For almost 10 years, I had an awesome wireless pair that my dad bought for me (Christmas gift) from radio shack. I wish I could remember what brand they were! Anyways, I guess I was a member of the cult, at least until the headphones quit working, haha!
Previous Topic: suitcase record player
Next Topic: Bagpipes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:18:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout