Home » Audio » General » Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts (Can the wire be soldered in?)
Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71718] Sat, 10 March 2012 13:28 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
It seems like no matter how tight I torque down binding posts, if I come back in a month at least one wire will be loose. I tin the ends of the wire too.

So, I'm wondering if the wire could be soldered into a banana plug and use that instead. Will gold plate solder? I know chrome won't.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71719 is a reply to message #71718] Sat, 10 March 2012 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The problem is one of elasticity verses malleability. Clamping pressure requires elasticity. If the material deforms, then it sort of "bleeds off" clamping pressure. So you're up against that. Copper isn't elastic at all - It's way down there with nickel and aluminum.

I like using banana plugs or spade lugs. Banana plugs have springs made of a material that is elastic plated with an electrically conductive metal that doesn't oxidize. That allows clamping pressure from the elastic base material. If a screw connector is desired, spade lugs will provide the same sort of thing - an elastic base metal plated with an electrically conductive surface metal. Tightening down on the spade lug provides clamping pressure without deformation.

Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71723 is a reply to message #71719] Sun, 11 March 2012 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 10 March 2012 16:25

The problem is one of elasticity verses malleability. Clamping pressure requires elasticity. If the material deforms, then it sort of "bleeds off" clamping pressure. So you're up against that. Copper isn't elastic at all - It's way down there with nickel and aluminum.

I like using bananna plugs or spade lugs. Bananna plugs have springs made of a material that is elastic plated with an electrically conductive metal that doesn't oxidize. That allows clamping pressure from the elastic base material. If a screw connector is desired, spade lugs will provide the same sort of thing - an elastic base metal plated with an electrically conductive surface metal. Tightening down on the spade lug provides clamping pressure without deformation.

If the banana plug uses pressure against the copper, isn't that the same situation? That's why I was wanting to solder the wire to the banana plug.

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71725 is a reply to message #71723] Sun, 11 March 2012 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would solder the wire into the banana plug, yes. Then the only mechanical connection is in the plug, itself, which provides clamping pressure from its little leaf springs.

Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71727 is a reply to message #71725] Sun, 11 March 2012 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks. I think that is what I will do.

Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71869 is a reply to message #71725] Wed, 21 March 2012 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I tried soldering some gold plated banana jacks and plugs. This makes a great connection. The wire will break before the join does.
I had to revert to my soldering gun. The heat needs to be applied quickly, so that the plastic in a wall plate doesn't get too hot and lose its shape around the metal.

Floyd

Re: Banana plugs for 4 way binding posts [message #71875 is a reply to message #71869] Wed, 21 March 2012 18:25 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I use only banana plugs. I am always swapping things around and they are great for that. I also use IEC power connectors on all my gear that uses AC mains voltages.... even the turntables.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Subwoofer Pre-amp out vs. Speaker Line Out and Lighting
Next Topic: How is a subwoofer at this price possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:38:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio