Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mounts for 1pi Speakers
Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71450] Tue, 21 February 2012 17:57 Go to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
As I get closer to the date that we will be putting up sheetrock at the winery, I have been thinking about the best way to, install the twelve 1pi speakers as surrounds for our dinner theater. My original plan was to embed them in the wall at a slight angle toward the audience, but am not sure how to "trim" around the speaker where it meets the wall. Short of a good solution to this question, I am thinking of just using a speaker mount; but what mount is appropriate for the 1pi?

Also, I saw on another thread Wayne talking about a square wire terminal that was installed on the back of a 1pi. Are these included in the kits? (I have been putting in speakon connectors)

-Jon Michael
Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71454 is a reply to message #71450] Tue, 21 February 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the connectors are included in kits.

There are a variety of mounting brackets available, but I've always had mounts made at the shop. I've done a lot of club installs where they needed to be mounted on walls, and what I do is to make a wedge-shaped cradle that angles them slightly downward. The mount is bolted into the studs with lag bolts and the speaker is bolted to the mounts through holes drilled in the back. I remove the woofers, install the cabinets onto the wall-mounts, then reinstall the woofers.

Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71455 is a reply to message #71454] Tue, 21 February 2012 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Are you building these "wedge mounts" out of wood?
Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71458 is a reply to message #71455] Tue, 21 February 2012 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, they're wood.

Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71550 is a reply to message #71458] Mon, 27 February 2012 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I sketched up what I thought you were talking about with regard to a wooden wedge mount that the 1pi can bolt to. As I am sure you have tried and tested methods for makings such mounts, I thought I would ask for feedback as to whether or not this is what you are talking about.

Thanks again!

http://www.jonvanwyk.com/wedgemount01.jpg
Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71551 is a reply to message #71550] Mon, 27 February 2012 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's it. That's exactly what we do.

Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71594 is a reply to message #71450] Wed, 29 February 2012 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I think I still have a lot of sanding and painting to do on the Pi speakers I have built....and I still have three subs left to build. Building the mounts sounds like a lot of work at this point (especially 12 of them).

Parts-Express.com is selling this flat TV mount for $18.08 that I thought might work well to hold up a 1pi. In order to be able to tilt the speaker down at the appropriate angle, I would need to mount it towards the bottom of the speaker. This would require installing the binding posts towards the middle or top of the enclosure. The mounting bracket is 8.5" x 4.5" and will hold up to 50lbs. Do you see any issues with using this Wayne? Would I be putting too much stress on the lower back of the speaker? I know these might all seem like dumb questions; but after all of the sweat I have put into these, I don't feel like making a dumb mistake either Smile

Thanks again for the top notch customer service!

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_large/182-392_l.jpg
Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71603 is a reply to message #71594] Wed, 29 February 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that will work, but make very sure that the mount will hold. It looks like one of the adjustment slots is open, so I'd make sure that slot opened upwards (so that gravity will tend to hold it in place even if the screw loosens). You certainly don't one coming loose.

Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71731 is a reply to message #71603] Mon, 12 March 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 22:06

I think that will work, but make very sure that the mount will hold. It looks like one of the adjustment slots is open, so I'd make sure that slot opened upwards (so that gravity will tend to hold it in place even if the screw loosens). You certainly don't one coming loose.

It looks like the picture is upside down. If it's not, I would certainly mount it upside down as it'll be reinforced as Wayne said.
Re: Mounts for 1pi Speakers [message #71732 is a reply to message #71731] Mon, 12 March 2012 15:58 Go to previous message
Viscount
I am pretty sure it IS upside down. I may actually build the "wedge mounts" out of wood. I guess the other surrounds can be installed into the wall, so I would only need to make four of them; which is much better than 12.
Previous Topic: two π tower port and positioning questions
Next Topic: Just can't let that poor, dead horse alone! With PIX!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:12:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio