Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi in 4pi cabinet?
3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71234] Sun, 05 February 2012 14:29 Go to next message
ecc83 is currently offline  ecc83
Chancellor
I would like to build the 3pi but the cabinet size is too big for my room.
Is it possible to build the 3pi into the 4pi enclosure without changing the crossover?
If it is not possible-how many percent can i decrease the cabinet size?

Thank you very much,

Frank

ps: i have 2 closed subwoofer to help for the bass...
Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71235 is a reply to message #71234] Sun, 05 February 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They're very close in size:

three π: 30"x20"x14"
four π: 26"x18"x14"

Only four inches difference in height and two inches difference in width. Such a small difference, are you sure you can't "fit" the "larger" speakers in your room? I mean, they really seem to be the same size. If you stand them side-by-side, you can tell the difference but if you set a pair on stands, then replace them with the other pair, it will feel like there is absolutely no difference in size.

I would guess you could put the three π guts in a four π size cabinet and retune the port. Said another way, you could probably put the three π components in a 26"x18"x14" box tuned to 30Hz and it would be pretty much the same as the standard box, with maybe a smidge less bass extension. But the key thing here is "maybe". It hasn't been tested.

Why throw away all the hours of design/test and optimization work just to shave a couple inches off the box? It might work, but it might put a port in a standing wave pressure node and adversely affect the response. So honestly, I would suggest that you stick with the stock design. If you have a compelling enough reason to modify the design that you are willing to perform tests to verify the changes, then by all means, give it a go. But I wouldn't suggest doing it blindly.

Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71236 is a reply to message #71235] Sun, 05 February 2012 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ecc83 is currently offline  ecc83
Chancellor
Wayne,

thank you very much for your response!

Best wishes from a cold (-15°C) Germany,

Frank

Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71237 is a reply to message #71236] Sun, 05 February 2012 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yikes! That's cold!

I've worked in places that were cold like that, Chicago, for example. Sometimes gets below -20° C there. It's so cold, material properties are different. Rubber gets hard, plastics get brittle. Just a few minutes outdoors is enough to actually feel painful to me. I just can't take that cold!

Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71244 is a reply to message #71237] Mon, 06 February 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
World climate this year is definitely unusual. Here in Toronto Canada, we should have been getting -15C in February but instead we are getting +8C.
Re: 3pi in 4pi cabinet? [message #71245 is a reply to message #71244] Mon, 06 February 2012 21:09 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's very mild here too. Last year was nuts, very cold winter and very warm summer. This year is starting out very mild. Weather, like all other chaotic systems, is very rich and dynamic. So interesting!

Previous Topic: 7 Pi Plans
Next Topic: 4Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:45:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout