Home » Audio » General » Where do you get your electronic parts?
Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71167] Tue, 31 January 2012 17:59 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I'm looking for things like printed circuit board materials, resistors, capacitors, wire, plugs, jacks, etc.

I know you guys aren't shopping at Radio Shack.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71168 is a reply to message #71167] Tue, 31 January 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Mouser, Newark and Digikey. Those are the best places to get chips and discrete components. If you want speaker drivers and horn flares, you might try Parts Express, Orange County Speakers and Madisound.

Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71174 is a reply to message #71167] Wed, 01 February 2012 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Same here, plus Antique Electronic Supply (CE Dist for folks with a wholesale license) for tubes and such. Jameco for power supplies and Marlin Jones for power supplies and odd things.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71175 is a reply to message #71174] Wed, 01 February 2012 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Definitely. I like to get grille cloth for old tube radios I'm restoring at Antique Audio Supply. I prefer to get tubes from Aki at BOIAudioworks. He's someone I'd consider to be a friend. I don't trust some of the online tube dealers - Some of those guys out there will box up any old junk find tube as NOS. But Aki at BOIAudioworks only sells genuine new tubes, and he stands by them.

Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71177 is a reply to message #71175] Wed, 01 February 2012 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Amen. I won't publicly name some, but one is a very common source of tubes. Another is a major US importer of tubes. I concur with Boiaudioworks.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71179 is a reply to message #71177] Wed, 01 February 2012 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know who you're talking about. Bought a very expensive "NOS" tube from them once, and it came in almost completely dead. It worked, but barely. Obviously had been used a full long life before it found it's way into that online tube store NOS box. I was able to get a replacement from them, but I still knew they were trying to pull a fast one labeling a used tube as NOS. I'm sure all their NOS tubes are actually junk pulls.

Antique Audio Supply also sells used tubes, but they label them as such. I usually prefer to buy new tubes but sometimes, when repairing an old radio, I need a tube and my only options are used. Most times, they're fine but I've bought a couple used tubes that were weak. Antique Audio replaced them for me. Being labeled as used tubes, this is quite acceptable to me.

Re: Where do you get your electronic parts? [message #71182 is a reply to message #71167] Wed, 01 February 2012 16:39 Go to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Previous Topic: Where do you get your earbuds/earphones from?
Next Topic: Audio Demo Rooms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:09:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout