Home » Audio » Source » Old and New
Old and New [message #70601] Fri, 23 December 2011 12:30 Go to next message
mixinlady
Baron
How many of the various devices have you owned that we use to play music on, past and present?

I've never owned a record player, but still recall when cassettes were commonplace. I've also owned a Walkman and different versions of the iPod.
Re: Old and New [message #70872 is a reply to message #70601] Sat, 07 January 2012 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I had a turntable as a child, then a cassette player. Now I have a CD player but generally listen to music on my mp3 player, even though that means sacrificing quality for convenience.
Re: Old and New [message #71223 is a reply to message #70601] Sun, 05 February 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carson is currently offline  Carson
Chancellor
I have owned a record player, and still would have it if I hadn't sold the player when I moved. I also had an 8 Track player, but it quickly bit the dust. I may be young, but I have a fascination with old stuff. I have also owned a cassette and cd player(portable), and now I just add music to my Iphone.
Re: Old and New [message #71229 is a reply to message #71223] Sun, 05 February 2012 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi , All of the above plus an 8 track recorder and several reel to reel recorders (still have 2 of them). I also had for a number of years a VHS HQ recorder that was designed for audio. A Toshiba that had all the usual set of controls you would find on a typical audio tape recorder. (meters, level controls, counters etc) The response was claimed to be 20-20K plus with a S/N of nearly 100DB. It recorded the audio as video. Really cool device, just when the mechanical parts went south, there were no sources to get new ones as it never really caught on.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Old and New [message #71231 is a reply to message #71229] Sun, 05 February 2012 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, an eight track recorder. Now that's 70s coolness!

I had a reel-to-reel, which I still have. Also have a really nice cassette deck. The quality of both is better than CD, but of course, that requires that the source material is better than CD.

Re: Old and New [message #71251 is a reply to message #70601] Tue, 07 February 2012 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
In the past, I have had a record player, an 8-track, a regular cassette deck, and a CD player. Now I use my mp3 player most frequently.
Re: Old and New [message #71252 is a reply to message #71251] Tue, 07 February 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A little unusual...but I had one of the early RCA 45 RPM changers that attached to your TV. I kind of wish I still had it. Also a number of "6 Transistor Radios". High tech back then. Truly amazing how far we have come in 50 years. In 50 more they will implant the PC/phone/media player at birth. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Old and New [message #71256 is a reply to message #71252] Tue, 07 February 2012 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember when you could go into any department store or radio shack and find several of those six-transistor radios. Many were "cheap Japanese" radios but some were from Zenith, RCA or Philco. Only those brands made TVs at the time, and there were no "cheap Japanese" TVs yet. Remember that?

Re: Old and New [message #71257 is a reply to message #71256] Tue, 07 February 2012 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I had a Westinghouse 7 transistor for a while. Made in USA and had lovely sound. It tended to eat batteries though. I also had (can't remember the brand) a mini portable tube radio. It used 4 peanut tubes and needed a "c" battery and a 45 volt B battery. Too expensive to keep around even then. Novel for its small size - about like a thick paperback book.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Old and New [message #71284 is a reply to message #70601] Tue, 07 February 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Miranda Starr is currently offline  Miranda Starr
Chancellor
You guys have sure owned your share of interesting devices. I have to admit I'm a little jealous. Razz

I've had most of the usual stuff, going back to the 8 track player. We have an old record player that still works. I like to play it once in a while for nostalgia.

I'm one of the only people I know who has never owned an mp3 player. Most of my friends think I'm crazy, but I really have no desire for one. I'm still addicted to buying CDs.
Previous Topic: Record player
Next Topic: CDs on BluRay and DVD players
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:17:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout