Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid Horn Construction
Mid Horn Construction [message #70145] Tue, 15 November 2011 07:51 Go to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
Could I ask for a few clarifications of the mid horn design?

1. The posted dimensions (24" x 12" tapering to 4.5" x 4.5" over a depth of 11") are internal rather than external dimensions of the horn?

2. The driver mounting plate is placed on the short flare of the horn thus adding the thickness of the plate to the effective horn depth?

3. What is the preferred stock thickness for use in the mid horn, particularly the mounting plate?

Thanks for the guidance, it is better to ask before than regret later.

Re: Mid Horn Construction [message #70146 is a reply to message #70145] Tue, 15 November 2011 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers by numbers:

1. Internal dimensions.
2. Yes, the plate thickness adds a little bit to the depth.
3. Doesn't really matter, as long as points 1 and 2 are observed above. We tend to use 5/8" stock a lot. We used to have two jigs for two different panel thicknesses but have found ourselves sticking with 5/8" stock.

Re: Mid Horn Construction [message #70149 is a reply to message #70146] Tue, 15 November 2011 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Is the flat pack for the mid horn easy to assemble for a novice? And I assume the flat pack uses 5/8 MDF?

I think the time has finally come for me to buy the 7pi kit.

Thanks.
Re: Mid Horn Construction [message #70150 is a reply to message #70149] Tue, 15 November 2011 11:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The midhorn flatpack kit is real easy to assemble. You don't need any special tools, clamps or jigs. Just a bottle of white glue and a few minutes to put it together.
Previous Topic: 4Pi
Next Topic: DE250 on sale PE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:00:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout