Home » Audio » Speaker » The most expensive speakers in the world
The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69663] Sun, 02 October 2011 01:28 Go to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
I was thinking about how much I'd be willing to spend on speakers if I was rich, so I looked around online for the most expensive ones. I found a pair of speakers that go for $6,950,000. That's almost seven million bucks! They're made of solid gold, and only one pair was made. I thought that was pretty insane, I couldn't believe something like that even existed. If you had plenty of cash, how much would you ever consider spending on speakers?
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69669 is a reply to message #69663] Sun, 02 October 2011 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That is a bit extreme. Speakers ought to be a major factor in your listening experience. I doubt that there is another single component that can flavor or alter the sound more. When folks ask me about speakers I ask them back what kind of music do you listen to, where are you going to do it, how loud and so on. Personally, I love the sound of electrostatics. There are few choices and all are good. (back to the flavor of each system) I chose Martin Logan Vistas (now retail for about $4500 per pair). There were others that I liked a little better, but the price skyrockets quickly. Shocked When buying speakers my best suggestion is that you absolutely must listen to them first.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69674 is a reply to message #69669] Sun, 02 October 2011 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree with Bruce. You must listen to them. For myself, the speakers that have my attention at the moment, but I will probably never be able to afford are the Emerald Physics CS2.3 with the processors and whole smack. I heard these at RMAF last year and they immediately entranced me. Nearly electrostatic in sound. My electrostatic choice where money isn't a factor are the Sander's 10C electrostats. For horns the ClassicAudio T1.4's with field coils are damn hard to beat, but in reality I'd love to have a pair of Wayne's 3 Pi speakers--they do a lot right for a fraction of the cost. And last but not least, for line arrays, the Jim Griffin line arrays with CSS drivers and a DEQX (or any of the Seleh Audio line arrays).

But alas, I'm stuck with some old 1982 Heresy's, 1984 Polk Audio Monitor 5B's (which actually sound quite nice compared to many in that size--this was back when Polk did it right!!), and some ART arrays designed by our own Fred Thompson. In fact all my stuff is old and inexpensive Laughing
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69677 is a reply to message #69663] Mon, 03 October 2011 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Speaker quality is extremely important and so I'm willing to spend a little money, but almost $7 million is outrageous!

Everyone likes something a little different so I always advise people to go listen to the speakers before deciding what to buy.
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69678 is a reply to message #69677] Mon, 03 October 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Honestly, anything over about $20,000 is outrageous. The best drivers in the world can be purchased for under $1000. So even if you have an array of them, you're talking a few thousand bucks, tops. Most of the cost is in the cabinet - which is understandable. But even an exotic wood with hand-rubbed cabinet is just a few thousand bucks.

Truthfully, for about $3000 per cabinet, you can have what I think are the best speakers in the world. A full hifi system with uniform-directivity mains and multisubs can be built in the $20,000 range that is world-class, top-of-the-line. Anything more than that is just conspicuous consumption, which I don't say is "evil" or anything, but it isn't buying quality, it's buying bragging rights.

Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69679 is a reply to message #69663] Mon, 03 October 2011 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Evil may not be quite correct, but close IMHO. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69689 is a reply to message #69663] Tue, 04 October 2011 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
I don't think it's exactly evil to take advantage of rich people. Those speakers aren't worse than other insanely expensive items that don't serve a practical purpose.

That being said, I appreciate your responses. I'm not at the point where I can afford $20,000 or even $4,500 speakers. It's good to know what I should strive for though.
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69715 is a reply to message #69663] Wed, 05 October 2011 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christy is currently offline  Christy
Chancellor
Wow, seven million dollars for gold speakers?! I do not think I would spend that much on speakers, even if I was rich. I am curious if those gold speakers, are worth the price tag?
Re: The most expensive speakers in the world [message #69720 is a reply to message #69715] Wed, 05 October 2011 17:05 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe the entry point for a really good sounding mainstream high end speaker is about $1,000/pr. You can get a pair for less, but they will have some serious compromises. The point of diminishing returns seems to be about $10,000/pr. You could spend much more, but any well designed and fairly priced $10,000 pair will sound and look very nice.

"Fairly priced $10,000 pair" may seem like an oxymoron, but the typical mainstream speaker at that price point will have about $2,000 worth of parts, and that's what's needed for really excellent sound in an upscale enclosure. Selling a speaker whose materials cost $2K for $10K many seem excessive, but the manufacturer needs to cover all his overhead including wages, benefits, advertising, dealer markup, etc. I believe the best values are those offered by non-mainstream high end speaker manufacurers like Pi Speakers, Selah Audio, GR Research, AudioKinesis, etc.

Here's some eye candy http://most-expensive.net/speakers
Previous Topic: Ultimate Dipole Line Array
Next Topic: Dipole Speakers (particularly ESL)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:36:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio