Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Information about Pi Speakers
Information about Pi Speakers [message #69101] Sat, 20 August 2011 22:36 Go to next message
Rawcardo is currently offline  Rawcardo
Esquire
Ok so basically I'm planing on getting 2x 21sw152's and I need a setup to match their output... someone recomended 7pi speakers.

The space is about 20x35 with 14 foot ceilings. I'm hoping for some recomendations. And im gonna need croosovers. And box plans. And all the info to go along. I'm really new to building speakers...

Thanks for reading.
Re: Information about Pi Speakers [message #69102 is a reply to message #69101] Sun, 21 August 2011 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Read the material below, and then do some searches here on the forum to help you decide which model and upgrade options to get:
Your decision should be based on room layout, desired performance and budget. The π constant directivity cornerhorns are the best option if you have the right room layout and corners. If not, the matched-directivity two-ways are your best bet. Either way, use multisubs for best performance. If the matched-directivity two ways are chosen, then use flanking subs, as described below:
Re: Information about Pi Speakers [message #69104 is a reply to message #69101] Sun, 21 August 2011 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne... Your just the guy they told me to talk to...

Ok I read up on that. But I have a little problem. Reading and writing are not my strong points. Not that I can't read, just have a little A.D.D issue... Lol can't read for more then 10 mins before I start to daydream while I read...

I was originally gonna buy a premade complete package off some dealer in my area with 2x18"s total 1200rms. And 2x3way cab total 2400rms they did mid lows, mids, and highs. The dealer wanted $6000. I think for that price I can build a way better setup. I'm a carpenter by trade and I can literally build anything. But in this situation I don't have the right knowledge to design it myself. Oh and did I mention I get all my plywood for free from work...

Ok so I measured my place 18'x35' 14' ceilings, are you trying to tell me I should have the 21's for lows and then something smaller for mid lows?
Re: Information about Pi Speakers [message #69105 is a reply to message #69104] Sun, 21 August 2011 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I'm willimg to spend about $6000 keep in mind I get all the plywood for free. My subs will be 1.75' thick. I want the speakers to over power that room, in case i have a party or go out and do a show. But for the most part there gonna stay in that room. They might not always be set up in a corner.
Re: Information about Pi Speakers [message #69107 is a reply to message #69105] Sun, 21 August 2011 19:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What you want for flanking subs are sound sources that are smooth through 200Hz or so. Pretty much any direct radiating sub will do that just fine, regardless of size. Most subs will, to be honest. The only thing I'd stay away from are tapped horns, which have too much distortion and upper-band spikes to be used as flanking subs. But direct radiators rarely have trouble reaching 200Hz, even woofers with heavy and/or large cones.

As for the more distant subs, any thing with good extension will do there. They're low-passed pretty low, so most any sub that can hit the low notes can be used for a distant sub in a multisub configuration. The goal of a distant sub is to smooth the room modes below 60Hz or so, and they are rarely used at high volume. They're there just to fill in the holes from the lowest room mode or two. So they don't need to be SPL monsters, but they do need to hit the low notes.

Previous Topic: Pi8 plans
Next Topic: 2-Pi towers or 3-Pi's ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:30:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout