Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music?
Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music? [message #68868] Sat, 06 August 2011 11:11 Go to next message
Goatmaster is currently offline  Goatmaster
Chancellor
I wanted to know if there were any fans of dark ambient and noise music bands out there other than myself? The last post on instrumental music made me wonder...

For me, I have been listening to Raison d'Etre, Fall of the Grey Winged One, Megoptera, and Satori a lot lately. I also like things like Shizuo, Arcana, Christian Marclay, Steve Beresford, and many others who perform in "satellite" genres to noise and dark ambient music.
Re: Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music? [message #68870 is a reply to message #68868] Sat, 06 August 2011 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I do not know what dark ambient and noise music is. Can you describe the genre in more detail? It has a very interesting name.
Re: Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music? [message #68871 is a reply to message #68870] Sat, 06 August 2011 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goatmaster is currently offline  Goatmaster
Chancellor
Chicken wrote on Sat, 06 August 2011 11:56
I do not know what dark ambient and noise music is. Can you describe the genre in more detail? It has a very interesting name.

Hey there Chicken! (As a side note: I almost took that as my user name! Nice one!)

I assume you know ambient music, like background music, typically electronic in nature, although it does not have to be. It is sort of film soundtrack music of a sort. It is intended that one listens to it actively r it can be enjoyed as more of a passive, in the background sort of filler.

Dark Ambient music relies more heavily on minor keys and dissonant sounds, low pad drones, and contrasting composition elements without being too overbearing. Think, scary horror movie soundtracks that are still in a semi-relaxing stage of development in their presentation. Brooding, spooky music that houses interesting textures and unfolds in an intelligently organized compositional path. (At least, the ideal pieces would do most of this.)

Hope that helps. There are SO many of these types of performers. I could probably name two hundred of them, but they are all so different, I would not be able to recommend one that suits your tastes, perhaps. Maybe check out some of the bands I mentioned above and enjoy!
Re: Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music? [message #68889 is a reply to message #68868] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebirah01 is currently offline  Ebirah01
Chancellor

Dark ambient music is awesome! I love the more jazz noise and gothic type stuff. Fall of the Grey Winged One is a lovely band! I also like PAS, Akoustik Timbre Frekuency, Murmurists, Anton Mobin, and Ten Horned Beast.
Re: Who Likes Dark Ambient and Noise Music? [message #68909 is a reply to message #68868] Mon, 08 August 2011 09:42 Go to previous message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Yes, Goatmaster, that does help. Your description was about what I was thinking, but I wanted some clarification just in case I was wrong. Thanks!
Previous Topic: Amy Winehouse
Next Topic: Movies on Demand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:24:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout