Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speaking of Towers, Wayne...
Speaking of Towers, Wayne... [message #68501] Thu, 07 July 2011 15:21 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been on the lookout for more of the Utah 12" woofers w/o success. There are 4 ohm singles, icky looking 8 ohm pairs but so far no luck. I even keep a pic of one taped above my computer so I know fer sure when I see one on E-Bay, especially that it's not accordion.

index.php?t=getfile&id=543&private=0

Look familiar? Kinda like an Alpha? I think I'll try an Eminence Alpha 10A (although I'm drawn more to the 12", but I'd need box size and crossover help) in an actual sized, 2Pi ported Tower with the S-B Tweeter as my next project. The Towers sure have excellent bass, I'm just not nuts about the DX-25, now I've been "Downtown"!

• Attachment: IMG_2132.jpg
    (Size: 1.82MB, Downloaded 254 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_2132_1.jpg
    (Size: 243.61KB, Downloaded 2247 times)
Re: Speaking of Towers, Wayne... [message #68502 is a reply to message #68501] Thu, 07 July 2011 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Hey Bill, I started with the 3pi's and the Alpha 12 (I think that's what was in them). Nice sounding. They are now at my son's apartment, lucky college kid. I always thought the 12's would make good open baffle candidates.
Re: Speaking of Towers, Wayne... [message #68503 is a reply to message #68502] Thu, 07 July 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's not just me that loves them with the SB29, several good listeners have remarked at how good they sound. Tell yer son they've been recalled Then send them to me for disposal:lol:
Re: Speaking of Towers, Wayne... [message #68505 is a reply to message #68501] Thu, 07 July 2011 19:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are other tweeters that will work, but some of them get pretty pricey. The DX25 sounds great for the price, in my opinion. It's a good match for the Alpha 8/10.

I wish I could remember some of the others, but it's been a while since I checked. Seems like there's a Monacor and a Vifa or two that will work, probably others too.

One thing about the soft dome tweeters, they tend to be pretty easy to work with provided they'll handle the low end without too much THD and IMD. Match the sensitivity and get a tweeter that is smooth from ~1kHz up and you'll probably have a winner - again, provided it can handle the low end without distortion.

Previous Topic: Since I don't have enough complexity in my life...
Next Topic: 3-pi's up high ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:38:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout