Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » coming from klipsch.....plan request!
coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68056] Sat, 04 June 2011 08:49 Go to next message
smokarz is currently offline  smokarz
Baron
hi all, coming from a klipsch background and got rid of all my klipsch speakers (RF3, KG5.2s, Cornwalls). while i love the cornwalls, they just have too much of a footprint and was difficult to integrate into an home theater setup.

i am now in the process of building a 2-way heresy clone (mr bob crites cs-1). before i heard of the pi speakers, i had looked at the ewaves and statement designs before settling on the 2-way heresy clones.

any one that listened to both klipsch and pi speakers (particular the 4 pi) offer some comments regarding the acoustic differences/similarities?

also, is there a sealed 4pi design? i also looked at another member's build where he used dual round ports instead of the rectangular port in the original design?

and finally, wayne may i have the 4pi plan? thanks

Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68057 is a reply to message #68056] Sat, 04 June 2011 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
oh, another question.

how much power are folks feeding 4pi speakers?

i have an Emotiva UPA-7 125w that i used to drive my klipsch cornwalls. since they are highly efficient, i supposed the 4pi doesn't need much more juice than that to get to very loud level?
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68058 is a reply to message #68057] Sat, 04 June 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

People are running four π speakers with a variety of power amps ranging from flea-power 2 watt SET amps to 600 watt prosound amps. I recommend at least 10 watts, but more than 100 watts for home hifi is overkill.

Also recommend multisubs. More on that and on the overall π Speakers design philisophy in the whitepaper below:
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68059 is a reply to message #68058] Sat, 04 June 2011 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks wayne, i am building 4 15" sealed subs based on the MFW-15 driver. so i think i got the lfe covered in my smallish ht room (1900cf).
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68060 is a reply to message #68059] Sat, 04 June 2011 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent, setup properly, that will make an ideal system.

Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68063 is a reply to message #68060] Sat, 04 June 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
hi wayne, could you offer some insight into a sealed 4pi vs ported 4pi? i suppose i would be loosing some of the lower extension?
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68066 is a reply to message #68056] Sat, 04 June 2011 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
I used to have Heresys and I use 4Pi s now with upgrade option drivers. No comparison. The Pi speaker is vastly superior. Less distortion, better frequency response, in any metric, it's much better.

The 4 Pi has narrower directivity due to the 15" woofer. If that is a concern for you consider the 12" woofer model, 3 Pi.

The Heresys radiate everywhere due to diffraction from the inset drivers, I assume. You want to take advantage of the controlled directivity the Pi speakers offer. I have not heard the Crites CS1.

That's my HOP.

smokarz wrote on Sat, 04 June 2011 08:49
hi all, coming from a klipsch background and got rid of all my klipsch speakers (RF3, KG5.2s, Cornwalls). while i love the cornwalls, they just have too much of a footprint and was difficult to integrate into an home theater setup.

i am now in the process of building a 2-way heresy clone (mr bob crites cs-1). before i heard of the pi speakers, i had looked at the ewaves and statement designs before settling on the 2-way heresy clones.

any one that listened to both klipsch and pi speakers (particular the 4 pi) offer some comments regarding the acoustic differences/similarities?

also, is there a sealed 4pi design? i also looked at another member's build where he used dual round ports instead of the rectangular port in the original design?

and finally, wayne may i have the 4pi plan? thanks

Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68067 is a reply to message #68066] Sat, 04 June 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks rider,

from the several builders out there, the CS1 supposed to sound much better than the stock Heresy. bigger horn, better driver, etc.

i would still love to build a pair of 4pi for A/B comparison, and hopefully have a a trio of 4pi for the front stage and the CS1 for surrounds.
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68069 is a reply to message #68067] Sat, 04 June 2011 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
smokarz wrote on Sat, 04 June 2011 15:00
a trio of 4pi for the front stage and the CS1 for surrounds.

Oooh, I get chills thinking about a trio of 4Pis upfront in a Home Theatre. In addition to all the usual boom, snarl and sizzle, the dialogues gonna be sooo crystal clear!
Re: coming from klipsch.....plan request! [message #68104 is a reply to message #68069] Wed, 08 June 2011 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
is it just me or there is not panel cut sizes on the 4pi plan? do you just go off based on the external dimension given?
Previous Topic: Tower Plans Request
Next Topic: 4Pi McDonalds sound check
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:27:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout