Home » Audio » General » Time to set up the new room!
Time to set up the new room! [message #67531] Tue, 10 May 2011 13:59 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Well, after 6 months in a small downtown condo we are now moved into our new home and, once I dig my way through about 120 more boxes, I'll be ready to start setup of the new room. We had one of the bedrooms (about 12x13) set up for audio - insulation in all walls, celing and floor, dedicated outlets, closet removed for a bit more space. Now I have to fit in my speakers (similar to 4pi) and a BUNCH of equipment. I'm worried about the acoustics. Hey anyone from Portland in the forum?? Maybe we do an audio gathering and you can help me tweak?? (Oregon)
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67532 is a reply to message #67531] Tue, 10 May 2011 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hey, Steve, great to hear from you! Man, that moving stuff is a pain, isn't it?

Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67540 is a reply to message #67531] Tue, 10 May 2011 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roxie is currently offline  Roxie
Baron
Congratulations on the new house!!! It is a pain in the you know what the actual packing and unpacking. However, once everything is in its place, there is a great sense of peace and accomplishment. It seems that you have a few good audio projects in your hands. I wouldn't even know where to start, but you sound like someone that knows what you are doing. Enjoy your new digs!
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67543 is a reply to message #67531] Tue, 10 May 2011 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Steve,

That is great news that you have moved in to the new house.
Now, life may actually seem like it is back to normal again.
Congratulations on your move, a blessing in disguise.

As small as your new audio room is, you may have to treat it with bass traps and the likes.

Keep us informed of your progress along the way.

Take care

Norris
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67621 is a reply to message #67543] Sat, 14 May 2011 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks all for the comments. Something has to be done. Ella is only showing up in two dimensions and well all know she absolutely needed 3! I have no depth, though the left - right separation is good. I put some sound absorbing panels behind my listening position, didn't seem to help. The room is fairly dead, I had insulation stuffed in all walls, floor and ceiling, still, not a great sound stage. Maybe the speakers are just too big for the space? Help!!
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67624 is a reply to message #67621] Sun, 15 May 2011 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm getting good depth with the speaks against the wall.

Maybe the missing ingredient is the TV? Laughing

.index.php?t=getfile&id=405&private=0

Seriously, tho' you could have over-damped the walls. Ask Ethan Weiner on the Rives Forum
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67631 is a reply to message #67624] Sun, 15 May 2011 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Bill, what are the dimensions of your room?
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67688 is a reply to message #67631] Mon, 16 May 2011 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
11'-10" x 14'-10"

In the pic you can't see, just to the right of the right speaker, the 3x3 landing at the bottom of the stairs and the diagonal opening to the stairway as they go up; you know, every townhouse you've ever seen.
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67742 is a reply to message #67621] Thu, 19 May 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Steve, Have you tried toe-in, focusing a few feet in front of your listening position?
Re: Time to set up the new room! [message #67786 is a reply to message #67531] Sun, 22 May 2011 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Setting up a room can be a real trip. I've done it twice in the past year and it has come out fine. I have a program (MS Excel) that can help. You plug in the room dimensions and a few other things and it gives you a graph of the nulls and peaks. It does a pretty good job. With it you can fiddle with the listening position to fix a few things. I doesn't account for wall and floor coverings and similar things you might do to finish the job. I attached the program. The values in it now are just junk, so put in your own after you save it to someplace. I changed the extension to .xll as some browsers won't pass .xls ones (with good reasons).

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: BET Awards
Next Topic: Wireless TV Listening Headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:23:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers