Home » Audio » Movies & Music » "Pop" Music
"Pop" Music [message #66933] Wed, 06 April 2011 22:44 Go to next message
miss zoey
Baron
What exactly defines pop music? Like artists who are considered pop: Lady Gaga, Backstreet Boys, Rihanna, Fountains of Wayne... Those artists are considered today's pop, whereas in older days, Frank Sinatra was considered pop. When someone tells me the genre of a certain artist is POP, I still have no idea what the artist sounds like.. Unlike if one says Country, or Jazz. There's a specificity to it.

Re: "Pop" Music [message #67002 is a reply to message #66933] Mon, 11 April 2011 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tiktokontheclock is currently offline  tiktokontheclock
Chancellor
That's a good question. Basically, pop music is music that is associated with a simple repeating melody/harmony, and strong vocals. It is also associated with relatively short songs, and emphasis is on getting it played on the radio.
Re: "Pop" Music [message #67139 is a reply to message #67002] Wed, 20 April 2011 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RadioDinosaur is currently offline  RadioDinosaur
Chancellor
That's a really good question. Yes, Pop would be one of many categories in the radio business,yet it's really not one. I think it was a catch all term for mainstream music. Pop is simply an abbreviation for Popular.
Re: "Pop" Music [message #67427 is a reply to message #66933] Wed, 04 May 2011 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BluesBrother77 is currently offline  BluesBrother77
Chancellor
Exactly right, pop is short for popular, so in all actuality any song or artist can be considered pop music. It is really a non-genre because it can include all genres.
Re: "Pop" Music [message #67612 is a reply to message #67427] Fri, 13 May 2011 22:15 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That is true.

I can't believe people want to argue that Hip Hop is not a sub-genre of rock. Of course it is, unless you are speaking strictly of the street-level unrehearsed performance, then I wouldn't all it music at all. More like a performance art.

Soul/Funk/R&B are also subgenres of rock, but are usually not considered as such because the Billboard charts were segregated until the 80's. Country music has long been mainstream pop/rock with certain stylistic exaggerations.

Jazz (not that stuff they play on the radio), Gospel, Blues, Opera and classical, among others do not function nor are they presented in the same manner at all as Rock music.

There's more genres that that, But IMO, pre-written commerical music with distinctly solitary songs is Rock music

Previous Topic: Dr. Dre's Detox
Next Topic: Summer Shows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:05:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout