Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Creativity (Using color to make albums collectible)
Vinyl Creativity [message #66722] Mon, 21 March 2011 08:19 Go to next message
RadioDinosaur is currently offline  RadioDinosaur
Chancellor
Does anyone remember or maybe even have collectible colored vinyl albums or singles? I remember 2 in particular. Grand Funk Railroads' "We're an American Band" album was available in Yellow/gold vinyl. And the J.Geils Band "Bloodshot" was printed on red vinyl. I'm sure there are more. I had a Grand Funk copy but it was stolen Sad I remember a local radio station put out an album of the local hits at the time & put it on multicolored vinyl. Fun times! Laughing
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #68888 is a reply to message #66722] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebirah01 is currently offline  Ebirah01
Chancellor

I have so much coloured vinyl! I love it, even though, supposedly it des not sound as good as virgin coffee coloured vinyl. Still, it's fabulous! And, luckily for me, my band just got a record deal that will have a limited edition coloured vinyl pressing of a 1000 LPs (along with the CDs) coming out in February! YAY! My first LP! Exciting!
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69116 is a reply to message #66722] Mon, 22 August 2011 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I didn't know they made colored vinyl. That is crazy! I guess the coloring process is what affects the sound. Ebirah, congratulations on your first LP!
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69118 is a reply to message #69116] Mon, 22 August 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always loved those colored vinyl LPs. Still have several. I've heard they aren't as good pressings as he standard black copies but I don't think that's true. They're not as good as more expensive 180g pressings and half-speed masters, but I think they're every bit as good as the standard issue disks. I expect there's more variation from other parts of the process than there is from the color of the dye in the vinyl.
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69121 is a reply to message #69116] Mon, 22 August 2011 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi I have a new release by the Monsters of Folk on 180 gram blue vinyl. Smile It is a two LP set. I seem to recall I have another one, but would have to look.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69175 is a reply to message #66722] Thu, 25 August 2011 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LizardBat is currently offline  LizardBat
Baron
Zos Kia Sounds out of San Francisco just announced they are releasing some of the catalogue as picture discs or coloured vinyl. I love the idea aesthetically speaking. As I understand it, the sound quality of coloured LPs is not as good as "coffee coloured" vinyl, but I probably won't be able to tell the difference to a great extent. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of it!
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69182 is a reply to message #69175] Thu, 25 August 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The issue of sound quality of colored vinyl has surfaced a few times. Does anyone have a definitive answer. It would seem to me based on my limited number of colored disks that it doesn't matter. I seem to recall they originally put in the carbon black partly to hide flaws in the vinyl and because the records before that were on something like Bakelite that was naturally dark in color and people expected them to be black. Anyone out there know the scoop or have a link to the answer?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #69476 is a reply to message #69182] Tue, 13 September 2011 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siren is currently offline  Siren
Chancellor
I noticed some of my colored vinyl records have a little bit of surface noise. I am not sure why, and not all of them has the noise. I am not sure of any studies on colored versus black, though.
Re: Vinyl Creativity [message #70647 is a reply to message #66722] Tue, 27 December 2011 11:27 Go to previous message
NoWomanNoCry is currently offline  NoWomanNoCry
Chancellor
I remember having a marbled purple vinyl EP import. It was the Smiths but I can't even remember what songs it had on it. I bought it for .25 at the Salvation Army and had to sell it when I was short on cash once. I got $8.00 for it. I always regretted selling it though.
Previous Topic: yamaha turntable yp-b2 on switch?
Next Topic: Turntable Recommendations?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:47:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout