Home » Audio » General » Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV
Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66126] Tue, 15 February 2011 11:17 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I'm curious whether or not this works smoothly and would like to hear from anyone who is doing this. If I am connected to the internet and wanted to watch YouTube or videos on my TV would I see it the same as if watching on my computer? Are there any downgrades that occur due to streaming from one box to another, or the fact that it comes through the internet to my computer, to my TV? Is the stream steady enough to appear like a broadcast? Just because it is a major effort to make this connection happen in my house, I would like to hear whether or not it is worth the effort. Thanks!

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66127 is a reply to message #66126] Tue, 15 February 2011 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nope. If you have a modern flatscreen TV with a RGB input, you are good to go. It will be identical to the signal a CPU monitor would receive.

You may have to play around with the display settings to get the right dimensions and all, which you'll only have to do once, but it will be excellent technically.

A simple 1/4" to 1/4" inch adapter should connect the sound properly.

Edit: In other words, flatscreens are just huge computer monitors.

Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66128 is a reply to message #66126] Tue, 15 February 2011 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicDiva is currently offline  MusicDiva
Baron
Yes, whatever you see on your computer is going to be seen on your television. I can't remember the exact setup I had at my old house, but I know the computer we used had HDMI as well as the TV. I used to watch YouTube on the TV, check my email etc. It was so neat! We had a 52inch Very Happy
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66145 is a reply to message #66126] Wed, 16 February 2011 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reverb is currently offline  Reverb
Chancellor
Yeah, as long as you have a modern TV, you should be good to go. We have one of our laptops hooked to the HDMI port. Then we have a wireless mouse and keyboard that we use to browse sites. I love using it for watching Youtube videos. Smile
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66668 is a reply to message #66126] Tue, 15 March 2011 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clueless is currently offline  Clueless
Viscount
I am not good at the technical stuff, but even I was able to connect my laptop to my Sony TV and watch movies from Hulu and Netflix. I think that having a good internet connection is key too.
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66706 is a reply to message #66126] Fri, 18 March 2011 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, we do this too, especially for movies. It's a pretty easy set up and looks very nice on our TV; but we had to fix our internet connection first because it was slow for awhile.
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66793 is a reply to message #66126] Tue, 29 March 2011 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iDummy is currently offline  iDummy
Baron
I did not know this was possible. I will be checking this out because I love watching YouTube videos as well as HULU, but would love to watch them on a large screen. I guess I just have to figure out what cable to connect and where.
Re: Streaming from Internet to Computer to TV [message #66794 is a reply to message #66126] Tue, 29 March 2011 22:17 Go to previous message
cheeta is currently offline  cheeta
Chancellor
I wish I had a new tv to make my experience much simpler. We have to use the old laptop with the SVideo plug and hook it up that way. We made a sound wire with an old headphone and voila, we have the poor man version!
Previous Topic: Books on CD
Next Topic: Purpose of Music Formats?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:32:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout