Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How to measure T-S Parameters
How to measure T-S Parameters [message #65480] Fri, 31 December 2010 12:25 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I searched the model number (V12RXC21)and EIC code (328544) of the 12"-rs I thought were Altec/University. There's a thread on Audio Karma that identifies them as Utah, 328 being the EIC (whatever that is) code for Utah.

They sound so good I'm wondering what effort and equipment is involved in measuring the Thiele-Small numbers so to get them in proper size boxes.

BTW Wayne, Steve Brown prolly has his pair still in Tulsa....
Re: How to measure T-S Parameters [message #65482 is a reply to message #65480] Fri, 31 December 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can also do T/S measurements with a signal generator and multimeter or scope. The signal generator can even be a program that runs on your PC and outputs sine waves on your sound card. This will do the job and the price is right, but it's tedious.
As I said, it's a tedius process and easy to make a mistake, so you might consider getting one of Keith Larson's woofer testers:
The entry level product is just fine for doing T/S measurements. Does a great job and is very accurate.

Don't get the Parts Express copy - not only was it wrong of them to have sent it to China and copied it, but they did a bad job and got an old version of the product that had uncorrected flaws. It's junk.

Re: How to measure T-S Parameters [message #65483 is a reply to message #65482] Fri, 31 December 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It looks to me that WT2 will measure the T&S parameters and import them to a box design program? Seems worthwhile on that basis.
Re: How to measure T-S Parameters [message #65492 is a reply to message #65483] Sat, 01 January 2011 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's what it does. And the modeler works very well, so there you go!

Re: How to measure T-S Parameters [message #65496 is a reply to message #65492] Sat, 01 January 2011 10:20 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I made the mistake of buying the other brand. (At the time, I didn't know about the S&L or that mine was a rip off.) I'm planning to replace it with the original as I really dislike ripping off intellectual property.

Steve
Previous Topic: Pi 2 plans, please
Next Topic: seven π plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:28:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers