Home » Audio » General » Music Hit List
Music Hit List [message #65294] Wed, 15 December 2010 20:25 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
My large family decided to do something a little different for Christmas this year in that we are all making our gifts. We don't tag the gift so that, initally, no one knows who the gift is from. My son was asking for ideas on what he could make, so I suggested he make a CD that has all number 1 hits from past and present. Does anyone know of a website that would have historical information on music? I was hoping Billboard would have a list, but I can't find any historical data on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
icon10.gif  Re: Music Hit List [message #65295 is a reply to message #65294] Wed, 15 December 2010 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes. I can help.

Attached is a list of every song that has made the Billboard hot 100 for the years 1946-2004, plus a minimal amount of stuff I have added.

There is some oldies and hip hop missing from the letters A-C because I am in the process of cutting this list down of stuff I know I will never want to hear and has no practical purpose. A handful of songs (from the likes of Boston, Journey, et al.) are missing because I have the albums, so I deleted the extra copy.

The few pop albums I have are there in their entirety as well, so you can assume Peter Cetera did not have every song he recorded make the list(s). There's also some dupicates because some of these MP3's are very old encodings and needed replacement:

Here is the list, warts and all:

Re: Music Hit List [message #65326 is a reply to message #65295] Fri, 17 December 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
ABSOLUTELY Awesome! Thanks so much for the link. This will be a huge help. You even have Zager & Evans listed with their one-hit wonder 'In the Year 2525'!

Don't suppose you have anything on country music? My son was thinking of creating one of popular music and one of country. If not, no matter because this is a great place of reference for him to be able to pick and choose. Appreciate your help!

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Music Hit List [message #65328 is a reply to message #65294] Fri, 17 December 2010 23:05 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You're welcome.

I don't know anything about the genre specific lists myself. That would be great to have every billboard chart ever published. Billboard makes a lot of books though. They had one out that was an alphabetical listing of everyone who appeared in certain decades and listed all their chart dates and recordings. That book was great. Great for finding old classics few remember. Some artists had outstanding singles that were ignored in subsequent years for various reasons and resources like this are much less cumbersome than skimming through thousands of albums looking for the hits. There were tons of great songs that got played for a week and then it was gone.

It is odd though. Billboard is in now way a complete picture of "hit music." You lose all the MTV influence in the 80's and regional favorites are lost in the shuffle. There are also other reasons and song can't possibly chart.

Billboard has a website that has everything, but they treat it as a professional resource, which means the people who need it will pay whatever they ask, like an insurance policy. It's a shame that they don't consider reasonable access to their charts
to be a priority.

Previous Topic: Great Collectors Market - France, May 2011
Next Topic: Headphone Losing Sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:52:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers