Home » Audio » Home Theater » Open Floor Plan
Open Floor Plan [message #64428] Thu, 21 October 2010 19:51 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Anyone here tried to set up a decent 7.1 system in an open floor plan? Our kitchen and living room are just one big area. The two side speakers are sitting on the floor on either side of the couch and the rear speakers are installed in the wall on the other side of the kitchen, almost twice as far from the couch as the front speakers. It's hardly an ideal setup but the couch can't be moved any further back.

Any recommendations? TIA.
Re: Open Floor Plan [message #64434 is a reply to message #64428] Fri, 22 October 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Generally, open spaces are easier to work with than small rooms, at least where acoustics are concerned. I'd probably put the main speakers on stands flanking the TV, left and right and at about the same height or maybe just a smidge below. Then put the surrounds beside you and maybe a little bit behind you and slightly above ear level.

Re: Open Floor Plan [message #64437 is a reply to message #64434] Fri, 22 October 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The mains are flanking the TV and the L side/R side speakers are flanking the couch. It's the rear L & R I'm concerned about since they are so far back. I guess if I want to move them forward, I'd have to drop them down from the vaulted ceiling but then I run into major aesthetic issues.
Re: Open Floor Plan [message #64447 is a reply to message #64428] Fri, 22 October 2010 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I always suggest that the tweeter of every speaker should be at ear level. Wayne, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the way speakers are designed, that the Tweeter is the "eye" of the speaker, so to speak. Ever since reading about that and trying for myself my eyes always look at the tweeter as the centre of the speaker.

Position and size of the forward lobe [message #64450 is a reply to message #64447] Fri, 22 October 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In general, that's probably true but there is a forward lobe that may or may not be cenetered on the tweeter. In the best speakers I've seen, it is actually in line with the center of the speaker or even the midwoofer. The real trick is whether or not it is angled up or down, which would place the best listening spot at a different height depending on distance. Here again, the best speakers are uniform over a fairly wide arc, perhaps 90° in the horizontal and 30° to 40° in the vertical (+/-45° in the horizontal and +/-15° to +/-20° in the vertical).

Re: Position and size of the forward lobe [message #64451 is a reply to message #64450] Fri, 22 October 2010 19:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The rear speakers are angled down, but they are so far away (15 ft horizontal) that even with the receiver signal cranked, you can barely hear them. I think I need new speakers with higher power in addition to changing placement.
Previous Topic: New Home Theater receiver.
Next Topic: Blu-ray home theater, is it worth it?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:00:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio