Home » Audio » General » Is it called pacemaker?
Is it called pacemaker? [message #64352] Sat, 16 October 2010 15:53 Go to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Chancellor
You know that annoying sound coming out from the speaker when a cellphone nearby is going to receive a text message or a call? How do I eliminate or at least minimize that?
Re: Is it called pacemaker? [message #64483 is a reply to message #64352] Mon, 25 October 2010 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
It's caused by static. My friend said you can get a special cloth to stand the speakers on, or buy speakers with a magnetic shield. I hate that noise too, so hope this helps.
GSM noise from cell phones [message #64489 is a reply to message #64352] Mon, 25 October 2010 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This is actually a switching noise, an RF signal generated by a cell phone that uses the GSM network when communicating with the cell tower. AT&T and T-Mobile are the major carriers that use this kind of signaling. Poorly shielded amplifiers sometimes detect and amplify this signal, causing the weird clicking or pulsing sound just before your cell phone rings, during a call and when you're sending or receiving a text message. It also happens when the phone is trying to register with the system, like when you move between towers.

Phones from Verizon/Alltel and Sprint/Nextel use the CDMA network, which doesn't use the same pulsing radio frequencies as GSM phones. They usually don't generate the same RF noise, and so aren't usually a problem when used near small amplifiers, intercoms or amplified speakers. However, world phones that use both CDMA and GSM networks will generate this noise when communicating with a GSM network.

Moving your phone away from your intercom, amp or amplified speakers will reduce or eliminate the noise. Better amps with RF shielding don't usually have the problem. An easy test is to put your phone near the amp in question and send it a text message.

Re: GSM noise from cell phones [message #64492 is a reply to message #64352] Mon, 25 October 2010 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Chancellor
Thanks, for your precise explanation, Wayne. That was really informative. I know moving your phone away will eliminate that noise, LOL! But sometimes some speakers do pick up the signal even if the phone is about 10 feet away.
Re: GSM noise from cell phones [message #64493 is a reply to message #64492] Mon, 25 October 2010 16:34 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I hate that sound. It's good to know that since I just switched to Verizon I won't have to worry about it as much. Thanks for the interesting explanation Wayne!
Previous Topic: Ear health
Next Topic: Game Con 5.1 Surround Sound Headset
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:15:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout