Home » Audio » Movies & Music » favorite piece of Classical Music
favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64126] Tue, 28 September 2010 17:20 Go to next message
Bohnam is currently offline  Bohnam
Chancellor
I typically don't listen to classical music, but there is something about Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata that creeps into my nerve endings. I've yet to meet someone who didn't like at least one piece of classical music so I'm curios at to what are your favorites.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64131 is a reply to message #64126] Wed, 29 September 2010 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Depends on the definition of the word classical is exactly. I love a ton of stuff that s heavily influenced by classical music. Yngwie Malmsteen is the prime example, as well as tons of progressive and power metal bands. The most obvious example I can think of is an Angra song called "Visions Prelude" which is the exact melody of Chopin. I love the songwriting, but I don't like the 48-piece (?) orchestra format of the music myself.

Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64591 is a reply to message #64126] Thu, 04 November 2010 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billie is currently offline  Billie
Chancellor
My favourite piece is Mendelssohn's Overture 'The Hebrides' or Fingals Cave.

Mendelssohn wrote it and portrays the seas motion around the Isle of Staffa, in Scotland.

The island is constructed with what appears to be hexagonal pillars similar to that of the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64595 is a reply to message #64591] Thu, 04 November 2010 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are a bunch of classical pieces I really like. But if I had to name just one, it would probably be Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition". In particular, I like a recording of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing it in 1968, conducted by Seiji Ozawa, very early in his career.

http://audioroundtable.com/Album_Covers/Ozawa_Pictures.jpg
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64799 is a reply to message #64126] Sun, 21 November 2010 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
One piece that stands out for me is Pachelbels Canon in D. This was actually the theme music for 'Ordinary People' which starred Mary Tyler Moore, Donald Sutherland and Timothy Hutton. Great piece of music, so fitting for the movie.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64807 is a reply to message #64126] Mon, 22 November 2010 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scots Rich is currently offline  Scots Rich
Chancellor
Does opera count ? It is a perfect blend of music, voice and theatre - I saw the Scottish Opera perform "The Elixir of Love" and " La Boheme" last year.

Rich
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64853 is a reply to message #64126] Tue, 23 November 2010 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacks is currently offline  Jacks
Chancellor
If opera counts, I vote for just about anything classical and Andrea Bocelli's voice.

I'm no opera fan, but that man has a set of pipes that just amaze me. Pavarotti couldn't touch him for pitch and timber, nor can any of the other leading tenors, in my humble opinion.
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #64921 is a reply to message #64126] Fri, 26 November 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrumRoll is currently offline  DrumRoll
Chancellor
I think Opera would count. I have not listened much to Opera, but was totally blown away by 10-year-old Jackie Evancho on 'America's Got Talent' this summer. The voice that comes out of this child must come from an angel. Her rendition of 'Ave Maria' drew a standing ovation.
Re: favorite piece of Classical Music [message #65033 is a reply to message #64126] Tue, 30 November 2010 18:47 Go to previous message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
I personally love to listen to Vivaldi's spring composition. It seems to capture the whole "feel" of the season. It also seems to put me in a better mood if I am feeling a little anxious.
Previous Topic: Eminem
Next Topic: Your First Record
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:18:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout