Home » Audio » Home Theater » How big should a sound system be? (I don't know what size the speaker here should be in my sound room)
How big should a sound system be? [message #64120] Mon, 27 September 2010 20:42 Go to next message
3dfreak is currently offline  3dfreak
Chancellor
Hi guys! I have a room which I dedicate for sound tripping. I'm a sound geek but not techy. Approximately, it measures 20 feet long, 15 feet wide and 12 feet high. How "big" should the speaker be for optimum experience? I mean, I enjoy the sound without waking up my sister in the other side of the wall.

Gosh, I don't even know how to measure the bigness Smile of a speaker. Literature confuses me. But once I get the size, whatever it is, I'll decide whether I'll purchase the speakers or build them myself. I may not be techy but I think I can construct a box with all the tools my Dad has Smile
Re: How big should a sound system be? [message #64122 is a reply to message #64120] Tue, 28 September 2010 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I used to think size was the indicator of quality, but that has not been the case in a long time since they've been able to make smaller speakers with much bigger outputs than they used to.

It is all about the power output of the drivers, really.

I really don't know what you are asking. 120db @ 2 meters is how loud a sound system should be as far as i'm concerned, for home listening. I couldn't tell you what wattage would be necessary to get that.

As far as the physical size of a speaker I say the bigger the better. Get something that outputs the power you want and has the f bandwidth that is required. An 8" speaker might do it or a 16" one might do it it all depends on the size of the magnet.

Re: How big should a sound system be? [message #64123 is a reply to message #64120] Tue, 28 September 2010 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
I'm no techie either but you have Adveser's info for that side. On a practical note I would say that unless you live in a castle with 6 feet thick walls it is going to be hard to avoid disturbing someone in the next room! You may want to think about soundproofing a little and then splashing out on good speakers.
Re: How big should a sound system be? [message #64709 is a reply to message #64123] Mon, 15 November 2010 08:38 Go to previous message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
I agree with BigMac regarding sound proofing unless your nearest neighbor is 5 kilometers away from your house.

Size of speakers doesn't really matter nowadays. I have a set of small speakers in my office but the sounds it make can be heard on the next room.
Previous Topic: Suggestions for new system
Next Topic: Acoustic Research AR HC6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:37:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout