Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » OTL amps
OTL amps [message #8268] Wed, 16 June 2004 07:09 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
While on the subject of amp types, what are some of the pros and cons of the OTL configuration? What are some good implementations? How about things to watch out for?

Re: OTL amps [message #8270 is a reply to message #8268] Wed, 16 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Hey Wayne:

I have OTL mono amps. They're from Transcendent Sound right where I live in K.C. Mo. They are the T-16 mono kits developed by Bruce Rozenblit. Each amp can put out 40 watts of very high quality sound. They can drive a 4 ohm load, which they did quite well when I first got them. But eventually and intentionally I mated them with your Theater 4 Pi's, and I got to tell you the resulting offspring between these two designs are pure joy. Bass is dynamite, mid's & highs very realistic. Also I'd built Rozenblit's Grounded Grid preamp from his book Audio Reality and this as much as everything else makes me happy I persued this audio mania. And you know how insane audio can be. I built it me self and saved a heap. The OTL's downside is by design, HEAT! But Rozenblit's design philosophy is geared toward that issue, and reliability. So even with 16 russian 6c19pi tubes bristling on top each amp, they're not space heaters in the winter and weber grills in the summer. Plus I've never had a lick of trouble except one output tube that the heater element went bad. Luckily I found also a reliable and inexpensive source of tubes for this amp on e-bay, called KW tubes in Lithuania. The thought of re-tubing these amps eventually with 32 tubes was daunting to think of. But at a little over 3 bucks apiece, thats real good, about 1/3 what I'd searched elsewhere.

Re: OTL amps [message #8271 is a reply to message #8270] Wed, 16 June 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Rick,

Wow! Thanks for your input. I've heard lots of good things about Rozenblit's amps. So one of these days soon, I'll have to give the Transcendent Sound amps a try.

Wayne

Re: OTL amps [message #8274 is a reply to message #8271] Wed, 16 June 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
hi wayne...fyi...bruce only sells kits nowadays...no more ready made amps.
-akhilesh

Re: OTL amps [message #8277 is a reply to message #8274] Thu, 17 June 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha. So does Transcendent Sound sell kits only? Or are they separate from Bruce Rozenblit?

Hey, by the way, I just posted a note about the Great Plains Audio Club meeting in July. I was going to have it in two weeks, but that would be 4th of July weekend, so I set it for three weeks from Saturday instead. It will be July 10th at 2:00pm at my place. Should be a good time and I hope to see you there!

Re: OTL amps [message #8279 is a reply to message #8277] Thu, 17 June 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Wayne,
Same thing...transcendent is run by Bruce.
BTW, he sells a singleended OTL kit quite cheap. Anyone here in Tulsa interested?
-akhilesh

Re: OTL amps [message #8438 is a reply to message #8270] Mon, 06 September 2004 19:12 Go to previous message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
Rick:

Glad to hear you like the GG and the T16 mated with the Theater 4 Pi's. Hakn Jr and I built a Forplay that sounds real nice - for variety, I decided to build a GG - I have heard great reviews of the pre-amp. I intended to scratch build it - trusting that my Foreplay experience is sufficient. Once done, I'm contemplating the T-16 Kit as well.

Do you that their is sufficient ommph to drive the 4-Pi's, should be as they are very efficient!

Any sage advice concerning other DIY options before I dive headlong into this audio extravaganza?

Thanks
Hakn Sr.

Previous Topic: Welcome
Next Topic: SET Kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:33:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers