Home » Audio » General » Eminence Reignmaker
Eminence Reignmaker [message #63884] Fri, 20 August 2010 16:18 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Anyone had any experience with this type of speaker from Eminence. And how the heck does it work?

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_reignmaker.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LCUOqJBuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWqwCMZ1mo

Re: Eminence Reignmaker [message #63885 is a reply to message #63884] Fri, 20 August 2010 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Looks like the same thing that SRD used to make called a power soak. It essentially changes the wattage that the speakers get. The electronics in an amp have different tone depending on how much saturation occurs and this makes it possible to change those values to what you want while changing the volume to the level that is desired.

Re: Eminence Reignmaker [message #63887 is a reply to message #63885] Fri, 20 August 2010 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I seem to remember the power soak and it seems Marshall had an attenuator (power brake???) that you put between the amp output and the speaker.

Maybe just what I need for my peavey 5150 combo.
Re: Eminence Reignmaker [message #63889 is a reply to message #63884] Fri, 20 August 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I couldn't think of a single reason not to use a power soak or a device that does the same thing. It will only give you more tonal flexibility and it can always be bypassed.

You'd be surprised but, for example, the song "layla" was recorded through one of those pocket sized amps.

Bands are learning quickly that you only need a speaker to be powerful enough to produce the lowest notes you want and after that, you are gonna ruin recording quality. Some bands need stacks because their rhythm guitars have that OOMPH that basses usually produce (and they sometimes use Bass Cabs instead of guitar cabs) but for the average album they know that small is better, both in wattage and speaker size.

The only other issue is that depending on where the mic points at on the speaker itself, it drastically changes the tone. Using smaller speakers would tend to soak up more tonal differences in the speaker.

Re: Eminence Reignmaker [message #63892 is a reply to message #63889] Fri, 20 August 2010 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yes, I've used the 5150 for gigging, needing the extra if the PA system went down. But the little recording I've done has been through an old 6W Fender Vibrochamp. Excellent sounds from it.
Re: Eminence Reignmaker [message #63893 is a reply to message #63892] Fri, 20 August 2010 22:12 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Works kind of like a field coil, in that you can change the amount of magnetic flux by changing the drive current. But in this case, they modify the flux mechanically.

Previous Topic: Live365.com
Next Topic: blip.fm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:28:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout