Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » DIY amp kits
DIY amp kits [message #8046] Thu, 08 January 2004 15:19 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd love to see a list of DIY kits compiled.

If any of you know of some kits you'd like to recommend (and aren't affiliated with the kit makers), please list them here.

I know that Antique Electronics (www.TubesAndMore.com) has some kits. There are also some SET kits I know of, but that's better for the SET forum. Consonance makes a P-P tube amp kit, don't they? And there are some other tube devices in DIY form, like Steve Bench's active crossover. So whatever else you can think of, please list here.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8047 is a reply to message #8046] Thu, 08 January 2004 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi wayne, transcendentsound.com makes some nice otl kits as well as aphono stage and preamp that has a good rep. I have heard the otl 16 which is a mid-powered power amp that is fast and tight on the bottom and smooth through the mids and very articulate. Uses a lot of tubes but the kits are fairly priced although they do use a pc board.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8048 is a reply to message #8047] Thu, 08 January 2004 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I like that suggestion, thanks!

Mapletree Audio Design [message #8049 is a reply to message #8046] Fri, 09 January 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've completed a headphone amp kit from Mapletree and I'm extremely pleased with it. Have not heard their preamps (there's four different models, two of them can come as kits), but if it's anything like the headphone amp, should be winners. Their Octal 6A preamp has received some very positive feedback. The price is certainly right, and Dr. Lloyd is very helpful.

I have no affiliation with company other than we're both Canadians ;-)

gar.

Re: Mapletree Audio Design [message #8050 is a reply to message #8049] Fri, 09 January 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool, Gar, thanks for the heads up!

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8051 is a reply to message #8046] Sun, 11 January 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Of the kits I've built, my favorites are the Laurel 300B monoblocks by Welborne Labs, which have been my principal amps for a number of years. Welborne has replaced the Laurels with a DRD kit. I haven't heard the DRD, but if it's good enough to oust the Laurels it must be quite an amp.

For a real cheapie, I can also recommend the Antique Electronics Supply K-502 kit, an integrated stereo amp for $139.50. I put one together in a couple of hours "bone stock", as they say, and it sounds great with a pair of diy speakers in my garage/shop. The only thing I'd change if I were using it as my principal amp would be to upgrade the pot.

One of the nice things about kits and parts companies is how amazingly responsive and high quality the offerings and people are. In my years doing this, I've only had one less-than-satisfactory experience, and that company is no longer with us.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8054 is a reply to message #8051] Sun, 11 January 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The little Antique Electronics amps look real cool, and their PCB construction make them easy to assemble. Akhilesh, from over at the Single Driver forum, just purchased one of these kits and it really looks great. For 140 bucks, you really can't beat that.

I saw Ron Welborne at MAF 2003, and he's a real class act. Just like some of the other good guys over at the old site, I hope he moves his support forum to a place that matches his class.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8055 is a reply to message #8054] Mon, 12 January 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Ironically, I'm using my Antique Electronics amp to drive a pair of Fostex single-driver speakers. A great combination! I'll be interested to hear what Akhilesh thinks.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8056 is a reply to message #8055] Mon, 12 January 2004 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll bet that sounds great. The single-driver systems I've enjoyed most were based on Fostex speakers. I'm really interested to hear that Antique Electronics amp, but now from hearing your positive opinion when used with Fostex speakers, I can expect that it will sound great with his Tru-Sonics.

Re: DIY amp kits [message #8057 is a reply to message #8056] Tue, 13 January 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
The Fostex speakers I'm listening to with the Antique Electronics amp are FE 208 Sigmas using Martin King's excellent design, found at http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project03/Project03.html .

After reading Martin's writeup of his use of Lowther DX drivers in a similar design (which includes his listening impressions comparing the Fostex and Lowther drivers), http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Project04.html , I'm dying to try the Lowthers, but they're just too #$%& expensive!

Previous Topic: Is there a web link for DIY tube schematics and diagrams?
Next Topic: People with tight sphincters like solid state
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:09:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout