Home » Audio » Source » Repairing a tape
Repairing a tape [message #62966] Sat, 29 May 2010 17:13 Go to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
How do I repair a tape that broke? The tape itself broke and I don't know how to fix it so that it will still play the songs that haven't been damaged.
Re: Repairing a tape [message #62971 is a reply to message #62966] Sat, 29 May 2010 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

1. Unwind the tape carefully, to expose the break and make it easy to work on. Be careful not to let it get tangled.

2. Find some scissors that are very sharp and not magnetic. A razor blade will also work, but I personally find very sharp scissors easier to work with.

3. Test to make sure it isn't magnetic by bringing it near steel and seeing that there is no magnetic attraction.

4. Cut each side of the break as close as possible to the broken ends. If there is stretching, you should remove and discard the stretched tape, leaving only unharmed tape on each side to splice together. Cut both ends straight, as this is where you will join both ends. Make sure you do not have a twist or tangle.

5. Get some clean clear tape, pull off a piece and lay it on a clean table or work surface, adhesive side up.

6. Lay one side of the magnetic tape onto the sticky part of the adhesive tape, allowing some room to attach the other side of the magnetic tape you wil be joining. This is the most important and delicate part so work carefully.

7. The adhesive tape should be applied to the back side of the magnetic tape, the side away from the playback head. It is towards the inside of a cassette or reel.

8. Static electricity may (probably will) try and draw the magnetic tape to the adhesive tape. I use a dragging motion, pulling the tape across the sufrace of the table slowly to reach the tape. This sort of guides me into position. You may want to practive this a few times with tape having the sticky side down to get the hang of it before going for it.

9. After having the first side attached to the tape, repeat this to attach the second side and join the two. You do not want a gap and you do not want overlap. Again, the dragging motion will probably help you. In this case, the second half, I usually drag it slowly on top of the already attached tape until I reach the break, and then attach there, where the two ends meet.

10. Trim the adhesive tape from each side of the magnetic tape. Do not fold it over. The splice should be a clean half-inch or so of adhesive tape spanning the break on the inside of the magnetic tape, away from the tape head. There should be no adhesive tape exposed on either side of the magnetic tape.

Re: Repairing a tape [message #63038 is a reply to message #62966] Wed, 02 June 2010 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
Thanks so much! I've had the tape for a while now and it got hung up in the tape deck and I guess I pulled a little too hard. Now I'll have to go and get the supplies from the store to try to repair it. I was so afraid the tape was trashed but now I know it can be fixed. I feel much better now.
Re: Repairing a tape [message #63051 is a reply to message #63038] Thu, 03 June 2010 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
I don't know if you can get them still but in the golden days of tape you could get a cassette tape splicing kit. It would do the cutting and lining up, and apply the adhesive tape for you.
Re: Repairing a tape [message #63616 is a reply to message #63051] Mon, 02 August 2010 08:15 Go to previous message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
I am going to try the tips as I just picked up a great set of language tapes at a garage sale. There are three in the box but one is no good right now. Thanks for the information.
Previous Topic: Crumpled Cassette Tape
Next Topic: Ground loop isolaters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:58:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout