Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne???
Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61387] Mon, 16 November 2009 19:30 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Been looking over the PE catalog a lot lately, keep it right next to the Charmin Laughing

There's a new Vifa tweeter supposed to be 96dB for 12 bucks http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1028 Maybe that's an upgrade or alternative to the current Vifa in the 2Pi?

Then I've been thinking about the B&C 18, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-676 or 15 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-670 with the 8" I already have http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-652 and then the good ole DE-250 or maybe this new 1.4" they've got.

I make a motion that Wayne get busy right away on testing B&C 18s and 15s as substitution for the JBLs. And while yer at it, Wayne, maybe a B&C 10 or 12 could replace the Alpha in a killer 2Pi? They have Fs @ 50Hz also.

Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61389 is a reply to message #61387] Mon, 16 November 2009 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I checked out some of the B&C woofers, and there are a couple that would work as drop-in replacements for the woofers used in seven π or seven π-18 cornerhorns. I think they would work pretty well in four π speakers too, maybe with some minor crossover changes. But really, I don't consider them an upgrade for the JBL 22xx series parts, or even a lateral move. I think the midrange sounds clearer from the JBL's. That's why I decided not to go further with the B&C woofers. But if you find some at a real good price, they might be worth looking at as an option to the Eminence Omega series parts. They're in about the same price range.

Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61397 is a reply to message #61389] Tue, 17 November 2009 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
While we are on the subject of woofer upgrades to Pi speaker designs.

I was wondering if there are any current production driver upgrades to the Eminence Alpha 10" in the Seven Pi midhorn, that would be a good mate to the JBL 2226H mid-bass driver?

I see where you mention the JBL 2012H as being an upgrade path. But, since JBL discontinued this 10", they are hard to come by, and expensive when found.

I was wondering if the Eminence Deltalite 2510 would be a good inexpensive alternative? :

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/deltaliteII2510.pdf

But, they are no where the quality of driver as the JBL 2012H with aluminum and copper ring over pole peice.

Possibly one of the Eighteen sound 10" drivers would work?

http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=290

Or:
http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=274

Maybe one of these Eighteen sound drivers would have the efficiency to keep up with something as crazy as a pair of JBL 2226J per bass cabinet in the Seven Pi speaker?

Norris

Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61399 is a reply to message #61397] Tue, 17 November 2009 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, the Delta 10 is what's used in the seven π midhorn. For some reason, I found myself drawn to it more than the 2012. The midhorn with the Delta 10 has a very warm, creamy sound that I just plain like. I know, that's terribly unscientific, but for whatever reason, I like the sound of the Delta 10 in the midhorn.

You could use the Alpha 10 in there, in fact, that's what's in the eight π loudspeaker. The Alpha 10 allows rear loading for the bass. But I prefer the Delta 10 when used as a dedicated midrange.

Normally, I much prefer the JBL drivers for midbass and midrange. As direct radiators, the 2012 and 2123 definitely sound better to me than the Delta 10. But I think the horn loading reduces excursion enough to equal the distortion reduction gained by the shorting ring. Sure, that means the combination of a shorting ring and horn loading would reduce it even further, but I think I prefer the Delta 10 anyway. It sounds very nice in the midhorn.

Re: Speaking of reconing [message #61401 is a reply to message #61399] Tue, 17 November 2009 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You once mentioned a good re-coner right there in Tulsa and it's about time I sent my 2123s to get did. Who was dat?
Re: Speaking of reconing [message #61403 is a reply to message #61401] Tue, 17 November 2009 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Call David Miller at Speakerworks. His number is 800-526-8879 or 918-664-6299.

Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61405 is a reply to message #61403] Tue, 17 November 2009 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I see says the blind man, the Delta 10, not Alpha, my mistake.

Well, that is a whole other ball game when it comes to higher efficiency needed to mate two 2226J per channel.

I have enjoyed the midrange quality in the Seven Pi design every time I have listened over the years.

Good enough!

Thanks

Norris
Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61410 is a reply to message #61405] Wed, 18 November 2009 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Norris: A friend of mine has a pair of JBL 2012's he may be willing to sell.

Jim D
Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61411 is a reply to message #61410] Wed, 18 November 2009 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks Jim for the heads up. The verdict is still out regarding where I will go with this. Actually, the verdict has been a long time coming.

Please send me a PM?

Norris
Re: Interesting drivers for maybe new designs??? Wayne??? [message #61412 is a reply to message #61411] Wed, 18 November 2009 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
I'll contact my friend first - to see if he does want to sell them, and what his price would be.

Jim
Previous Topic: 3pi nearing completion.
Next Topic: 12pi sub simmed on akabak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:33:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers