Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Lightning in a Bottle DVD
Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6942] Mon, 26 June 2006 16:32 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've looked at this DVD a 100 times and never bothered to rent it. My local library had a copy so I picked it up. It has some pretty good performances by well known blues artists. I always enjoy listening and seeing Buddy Guy play.

Re: Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6943 is a reply to message #6942] Mon, 26 June 2006 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; I like Buddy, he's a little raw but he has good bite. I always thought Matt Murphy took some of his style. Whats this Lightning In A Bottle; is it a concert tape?

Re: Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6944 is a reply to message #6943] Mon, 26 June 2006 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It is a concert DVD at Radio City put out in 2003 or 2004 produced by Scorsese. It has:

Gatemouth Brown
Ruth Brown
Solomon Burke
Natalie Cole
Shemikia Copeland
Robert Cray
Honeyboy Edwards
John Fogerty
Buddy Guy
John Hammond
Hubert Sumlin
Larry Johnson
Angelique Kidjo
BB King
Keb Mo
The Neville Brothers
Odetta
Bonnie Raitt
Mavis Staples
James Ulmer
Kim Wilson
and a handful of other "newer" performers

Most do old blues songs from Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, etc....

Re: Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6945 is a reply to message #6944] Tue, 27 June 2006 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; thats a nice line-up. Not a lot of bluesmen per se but great muscicians. Can you rank the performances? What about the Neville Brothers and James Ulmer?

Re: Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6948 is a reply to message #6945] Tue, 27 June 2006 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
All of the performances are good. The Neville Brothers are good. My favorite performances besides Guys are probably Larry Johnson doing "Hear the angels singing", Mavis Staples doing "See that my grave is kept clean", and Shemikia Copeland with Robert Cray doing "I pity the fool".

Here is a website with more info.

Re: Lightning in a Bottle DVD [message #6949 is a reply to message #6948] Tue, 27 June 2006 15:24 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Naah; you just said it all. Those three examples are enough to convince me. I see it's a must have. There's another 20$ well spent.
I love Mavis and her voice.
I've seen Shamieka at the Poconos Blues Fest. I am going again this year; it is one of the best venues. The stages are set-up at the bottom of the ski trails and the sitting arrangements climb all the way up the mountain. Behind the stages is a big lake so it's visible from your seat. The sound does nice things maybe due to the amphitheater like arrangement and there are no blind spots. Everyone is loose and casual with very good food served and cold beers. You can circulate and BS with the performers. Nice fest.

Previous Topic: FZ Plays Bicycles
Next Topic: Match Point
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:38:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout