Home » Audio » Speaker » Last Sunday
Last Sunday [message #61041] Sun, 27 September 2009 09:45 Go to next message
Del Nauman is currently offline  Del Nauman
Esquire
Last Sunday, I posted the following question. This forum got carried away with personality conflicts.

I really don't care about the various personality conflicts and would still like to have my question asnswered:

I've been a recent lurker since this board has upped in discussion.

Suppose I built a speaker system in MTMW format, as I was thinking of doing: my ultimate system. Each channel would be as follows :

2- Scan-Speak Revelator 15W8530-K00 Cost: $212 each
Very Low distortion midrange speaker

1 - Scan-Speak 602010 ($199) tweeter very low distortion Tweeter

1- 18Sound 6ND430-16 mid woofer Cost: $130

1- And a 12 inch sub woofer at about $140(Dayton RS is one I like with very low distortion)

And I used electronic crossovers and four separate amps.

------

This combined two channel reference system would cost $1800 for the speakers, maybe $1600 for the amplification, and another $200 for the materials to build the cabinets for a DIY cost of about $3600

Why would I do a line array instead of this? And if I did do a line array, could I build a line array that would blow this away if I spent the same? Or, if I could spend less, what could I spend that would blow it away, and what would that cost?

Trying again!
Re: Last Sunday [message #61044 is a reply to message #61041] Sun, 27 September 2009 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkmoebius2 is currently offline  darkmoebius2
Baron
Del Nauman wrote on Sun, 27 September 2009 09:45
Last Sunday, I posted the following question. This forum got carried away with personality conflicts.
I'm not so sure your question went unanswered because of "personality conflicts". More likely, you asked open-ended, personal preference, questions which no one wants to answer for you.
Quote:
Why would I do a line array instead of this? I don't think the personality skirmishes had much to do with the lack of an answer for your questions.
Since no one here knows your speaker building skills, personal music tastes & listening preferences(bass, midrange, imaging, dynamics), system/component preferences, room size & acoustics, prior experience and reference points for speakers, etc, etc.... How can you expect others to tell you why you would choose one design over another?
Quote:
And if I did do a line array, could I build a line array that would blow this away if I spent the same? Or, if I could spend less, what could I spend that would blow it away, and what would that cost?
You could spend ten times more and make something that absolutely sucks. How can anyone else know what you are capable of skill-wise?

Have you read Dr Griffin's white paper on line array design? (.pdf)

Start there, and then frame your questions around the basic foundations of array design and theory contained within it. I think you'll find more responses with that approach.

Re: Last Sunday [message #61048 is a reply to message #61041] Mon, 28 September 2009 06:01 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your question is hard to answer because you're comparing two variables: point source verus line array and active crossover versus passive. I can't answer the crossover issue, but if you were considering driver cost alone, based on my experience I would agree with Rick's initial response to your post:

"It really depends on what your objectives are and what qualities you want in your system. With an array you're spreading a limited budget over several drivers versus just a few for a point source. The largest differences will be in tonality, sensitivity, and soundstage. The point source will have better tonality, especially if it's a 3-way. The array will give you a larger (and in my opinion) more lifelike soundstage with higher sensitivity.

Personally if it's under $1,500 in drivers I tend to prefer a point source because tonality is important to me. Even in the $2500-$3500 range you may find you favor a point source but the arrays do have the edge in dynamics as well. If you can go listen to a set of arrays and decide for yourself"

My experience as the owner of a Linus II line array using ten Vifa TC-series 5.5" woofers and eight Dayton PT-2 tweeters vesus a 2.5-way using Scan Speak Revelator drivers confirms this. The point source speaker using the $200+ drivers runs circles around the line array using $30 drivers in every way except for sensitivity and dynamics. Both speakers are Selah Audio designs, so the designs are equally competent or incompetent depending on your point of view. Laughing

Previous Topic: Widerange midwoofers, specs, and x-o pts...
Next Topic: Line array differences: small vs large mids
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:01:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout