Home » Audio » Speaker » What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays?
What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60840] Fri, 11 September 2009 20:05 Go to next message
Scaper is currently offline  Scaper
Esquire
I've been looking around for line array examples that use oval drivers. Something like 4"x6" or 3"x5" units.

Would these shapes have any detrimental effects on the array? Or could it possibly help by keeping the center to center spacing closer together?

Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60842 is a reply to message #60840] Fri, 11 September 2009 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
WHY?
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60844 is a reply to message #60842] Fri, 11 September 2009 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Do you mean 'why would I want to use them'? If so, it's because I found some cheaper 4"x6" full range drivers. They look pretty good.

Would there be any issues with that size? I'm assuming they'd be fine, but this will be my first venture into the line arrays so I would like to keep it cheap as a trial project.

Marlboro, I saw your line array a few days ago while searching around. It looks very nice.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on the 4"x6" drivers.
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60848 is a reply to message #60840] Sat, 12 September 2009 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Also, wouldn't the oval shape lead to a higher Active Radiating Factor versus the circular drivers? A 4"x6" oval would be like squashing down a 5" driver.

I'm just guessing here, but isn't that a benefit, like going from a bunch of round tweeters to ribbon? Basically smashing a circle down to get a closer C to C figure.
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60853 is a reply to message #60848] Sat, 12 September 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
check this out:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.audio.car/2005-07/msg00277.html
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60861 is a reply to message #60840] Sat, 12 September 2009 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the link, the person writing that article said the lows aren't as good. But going by the others, he's just giving an opinion. Maybe I missed the testing part.

Even if, I'm going to use a line array with sub drivers, so I don't need the lows.

The white paper you have mentioned before talks about using drivers other than round and I didn't see where it said it caused issues. If anything, I thought it helped, like it does with the tweeters.

Can anyone give me any reason why 3x5's would not be the same as 4" drivers or 4x6's versus 5" units? It just seems like they make more sense in a line array because the center to center range is even closer in a vertical array......and isn't that a good thing?

I'm looking for something to fill up a room next to these subs:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z239/Scaper-S2k/completeHT.jpg
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60862 is a reply to message #60861] Sat, 12 September 2009 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SophiaMendoza is currently offline  SophiaMendoza
Esquire
Well..... I say "Go For It!"
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60864 is a reply to message #60861] Sun, 13 September 2009 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Why do you need a cheap line array when you ahve all those giant 10 or 12 inch woofers? And with all of it you are really missing on the tweeter end.

Looks to me like you have too much sound in their already.
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60865 is a reply to message #60864] Sun, 13 September 2009 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Marlboro wrote on Sun, 13 September 2009 18:33
Why do you need a cheap line array when you ahve all those giant 10 or 12 inch woofers? And with all of it you are really missing on the tweeter end.

Looks to me like you have too much sound in their already.

I was just hoping to get some info on the oval drivers for line arrays that's all. I was told the members here know a lot about setting them up.

I'm not really sure if you were poking fun at the setup I have or not. I figured your statement would have been "Now I see why you need line arrays to go with all those sub drivers, it would be a perfect match".

Those are 10" subwoofers, they're for the stuff that normal line arrays can't do so well. I realize that 'with all of it' I am missing out on the higher ends. That's why I was asking about the line array.

I'm not sure why you think I have too much sound in there already. Isn't that what most people figure when they see a line array? "You got 150 individual drivers going at once?"

Multiple subs gives you less distortion just like a line array.
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60868 is a reply to message #60865] Mon, 14 September 2009 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
OK..... all joking aside. I've never quite seen a set up like yours with all those woofers spread all over the place, and with the two MTM's on the side and the MtM center speaker.

I'm having trouble figuring out why you need a line array in the setting. You have not shared any information about why you believe that you need one, what the deficiencies of your current set up are, or anything that would help us line array fanatics to help you with your problem, if you actually have one.

Line arrays as defined by Griffin(and you've obviously read his paper) have several significant characteristics that your current sytem my not have: 1) listening in the nearfield, 2) very very low distortion due to large number of speakers covering specific frequency ranges, 3) large sound stage due to coupling of floor with ceiling, 4) large dynamic range due to #2 again.

While you have a lot of available sound, you don't have the amazing listening characteristics of a line array. Your system looks more like something that you would have at a rock concert where the players want to be able to blast into the audience, or what looks obvious for you, a massive home theater display where you are possibly more interested in action movies with lots of explosions, and less interested in playing Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. This is not mean in a demeaning way, only that a line array my not be of any use to you for your large home theater set-up. Line Arrays are not for everybody, and that has nothing to do with building or expense: just that the specific characteristics of them are not essential to everyone's kind of music. Listening to lots of heavy metal requires lots of bass, but not an incredibly distortion-less experience since the music itself is high in distortion.

For me to help, I need way more specifics as to what you want to do, what you need, what you don't need. You may not need a line array, or you may not be able to put one together due to your room or desire to keep all the rest of the system you already have. One of the problems I already see is that knowing where in your room you would put a line array. There isn't enough room unless you pull out everything you currently have redign the whole system and actually make the screen a bit smaller so you have more room on the sides. Having speakers at all different distances from the listener can play havoc with the sound hearing. Do you really need all of those woofers? Can you balance the woofer sensitivity with the tweeters that you have available. Line arrays only work when they are build from the ground up so that the whole system integrates itself completely. I can't see for the life of me how you could integrate a line of 4 x 6 mid ranges in your current conglomerations of different speaker systems and make it sound integrated...... unless you are not particularly interested in playing music, but only want to produce voice and environmental sound in movies.

You have to help me with this.

Marlboro
Previous Topic: Fitting line arrays together
Next Topic: For those of you who own a line array.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:12:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio