Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 Plans
Pi 7 Plans [message #60403] Thu, 16 July 2009 07:56 Go to next message
omegatt is currently offline  omegatt
Esquire
Wayne,

Could you send me copies of the Pi 7 plans, heard them at Paul W's place in UK and was very impressed by the horns

Do you have a gallery of completed builds to see how others have finished thier DIY builds.
Thanks
Tony
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60404 is a reply to message #60403] Thu, 16 July 2009 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You've got mail!

There is a collection of photos of some DIY builders projects here:
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60407 is a reply to message #60404] Thu, 16 July 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 16 July 2009 10:49
You've got mail!

There is a collection of photos of some DIY builders projects here:

Hi Wayne,

I was going to pass that link on to Tony but I just got the message.

The End of the Internet
Congratulations! This is the last page.
Thank you for visiting the End of the Internet. There are no more links.

You must now turn off your computer and go do something productive.

Go read a book, for heaven's sake.

when I tried it Sad

PaulW

This page intentionally left blank.
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60410 is a reply to message #60407] Thu, 16 July 2009 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oops, I just noticed that too.

The photos are in a directory that had browse permission on my last server, but after the last move I guess I forgot to do that. I'll fix it later tonight or tomorrow.

By the way, I don't know if I have pics of your build or not in that directory. If not, can I have copies to put in there?
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60413 is a reply to message #60410] Thu, 16 July 2009 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 16 July 2009 15:32
Oops, I just noticed that too.

The photos are in a directory that had browse permission on my last server, but after the last move I guess I forgot to do that. I'll fix it later tonight or tomorrow.

By the way, I don't know if I have pics of your build or not in that directory. If not, can I have copies to put in there?

Don't know if there any in there or not - certainly didn't send any direct - can you pull them from the build thread linked in the review I posted or do you want me to email them, if you don't have any?

* working hard not to be the only 7 Pi user in the UK Smile Might even get off my backside and book a room at the next hifiwigwam show - February 2010. Especially as it's unofficially known as the piefi show (due to its proximity to Melton Mowbray famous for pork pies).

Edit for picture link to last (first) show - no trade allowed just enthusiasts and their systems!

http://picasaweb.google.com/JamPal32/PieFiShowOfficialPhotoS#
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60516 is a reply to message #60404] Tue, 04 August 2009 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

Many thanks for the plans. I have made a cardboard mock up of one speaker and got some dissaproving looks from the lady of the house Sad

The problem being the difference in width between the bass and midrange cabinet. Would it be possible to change the dimensions of the Bass cabinet without messing up the bass quality ?

I was thinking of keeping the internal volume the same, but making the cabinet wider to match the width of the midrange cabinet, depth of the cabinet would be the same too , so just the height would drop. What do you think

Thanks
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60528 is a reply to message #60516] Thu, 06 August 2009 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't suggest increasing the size of the bass bin when using the JBL 2226; However, the cabinet for the JBL 2241 is large enough that the width matches the midhorn. I can send plans, if you like.

Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60532 is a reply to message #60528] Thu, 06 August 2009 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks those extra plans could be helpful though I was planning on using the Eminence 15" driver for my Pi 7 not the JBLs'

Just noticed this thread

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=10732

Where you seem to suggest it's OK to widen the cab as long as it doesn't make the bass cabinet too short. Sorry if I wasn't clear but by my calculations widening the cabinet to match the mid horn, keeping the depth the same reduces the cabinet height by 100mm. This is keeping the internal volume the same.
Re: Pi 7 Plans [message #60533 is a reply to message #60532] Thu, 06 August 2009 14:03 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As with all things in audio, there are some changes that don't matter much and others that do. In general, small cabinet changes like you're talking about don't usually hurt much as long as the volume and Helmholtz frequency stay the same and the physical relationship between drivers is maintained. The problem is, it's sometimes hard to know how much change is "too much" without measurement equipment. Fortunately, the bass bin isn't run very high in frequency so you have a lot of wiggle room with respect to crossover. That suggests to me you'll probably be OK provided the box is tuned right but it's impossible to know without measurements.

Previous Topic: Pi crossover data needed
Next Topic: 2-pi tower.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:20:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout