Home » Audio » Movies & Music » MB, have you
MB, have you [message #6753] Thu, 11 May 2006 08:51 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Had a chance to listen to David Gilmour's "On an Island" cd yet? If so what do you think of it? I seem to appreciate it a little more each time I listen to it.

I have a Blackmore's Night cd coming and I'm anxious to hear it. I just hope it was recorded well. I like the music but sometimes the recordings can be ruined with the way they are recorded.

Re: MB, have you [message #6754 is a reply to message #6753] Thu, 11 May 2006 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well I'm glad you asked. At first some of the songs sounded a little sappy and new age while a couple of the songs had that Pink Floyd sound which I thought was a good thing.
I agree; over extended listening the songs have grown on me. What at first seemed too soft is very relaxing and the harder songs have that nice Floyd edge without becoming too strident. Once I start humming the tunes I know it's gonna be a keeper. Red Sky At Night; remind you of The Wall? Smile; nice vocals on that tune.
The Guitar solo on On An Island is got those stretched out notes like he does; nice flow.
The harmonica background on The Blue is a perfect touch. Much of the orchestration is subdued; not excessive.
The sax solo on Take a Breath. I can listen through the whole CD now and I look forward to the familiar solos; how about the Banjo on Then I Close My Eyes? Great fit.
Some of the lyrics are strained; and some are nice and basic. I heard his girlfriend wrote most of them; is that true?
Anyway I find the whole album has a good progression and I listen to it regularly now. Nice mix of acoustic ballads, soft lights out songs and good rockers. He doesn't push the notes; they just flow.
I like these kinds of thematic groupings of songs.

Re: MB, have you [message #6757 is a reply to message #6754] Thu, 11 May 2006 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I've also read that his girlfriend wrote most of the lyrics. I know he seldom ever wrote lyrics during the Floyd days. The whole album seems to flow for me. I didn't care for Take a Breath the first time I heard it. I was annoyed by the lyrics. About the 3-4th time I listened I got over it. It ranks right up there with Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia to me. Right know it's about a 3 way tie between this one , Sailing to Philly and Mark & Chets Neck & Neck.

I like you thought the added instruments served to augment the albums strengths. The horn section on the Eagles farewll Tour DVD is good also. Another great use of the sax is Dire Straits DVD On the Night. Really an excellent DVD. I never realized that when they toured they had so many extra players with them. It makes their music really full and complete.

Re: MB, have you [message #6758 is a reply to message #6757] Thu, 11 May 2006 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
After I saw your post I sat and listened through the whole Gilmour CD. Its raining here and pretty dismal looking. The last song; Where we Start brought it home to me why I like the album. The songs have interesting hooks and chord changes while maintaining a good melody line. Just when you start to drift they alter their structure a little in interesting and thoughtfull ways that catch your ear. They aren't tedious at any time. As you say different instrumentation weaves in and out of the tune in nicely musical passages that hold your attention.
They are not boring.
And Daves voice has if anything grown more accomplished since he aged. So whats the next CD out there?

Re: MB, have you [message #6760 is a reply to message #6758] Fri, 12 May 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
After I listen to Richie Blackmores CD a few times I'll try and tell you about it. It's the one with On the Way to Mandalay on it. IRRC you couldn't dnld the song from their website?

It's labeled as renaissance music and I really like what I've heard so far. It's very melodic and inviting music. It easily draws me into it. So we'll see after I have the whole album to listen to.

I don't like most music DVDs because I don't want to watch antics, I want to hear music. So I shy away from most DVDs. However, I have found some so far that just play music and are very engaging. The Eagles-Farewell Tour, Dire Straits-On the Night, David Gilmour-David Gilmour in Concert.

The Pink Floyd-Live at Pompei DVD is good but you have to be a PF fan to really appreciate it. It has more info about them than music on it. It's a hoot to see Gilmour when he was a kid I always felt kind of sorry for Roger Waters as I think he fell victum to believing his own hype. He's talented but I get tired of disallusioned lyrics after a while.

Re: MB, have you [message #6761 is a reply to message #6760] Fri, 12 May 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; disallusioned is an understatement. Can you get any more depressing than the Wall?? Makes you want to jump off a cliff.
Say; do you listen to english folk rock at all?

Re: MB, have you [message #6764 is a reply to message #6761] Fri, 12 May 2006 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
If you mean music like Steeleye Span puts out yes I really like it. Otherwise that's about all I have had until tonight.

The Ghost of a Rose which is the Blackmores Night album I ordered was waiting when I got home from working at the museum all day. It is wonderful to my old ears. It's just sweet music to me.

Your Valencias will love this album. You might not but they will. The vocals are by Candice Knight and she sounds a little like Joan Baez wihtout her shrillness which I didn't like. There are some folk/rock tunes but mostly smooth melodic music.

Blackmores guitar work is similar to Gilmour in that he doesn't beat you up with flash & speed. He just plays good solid music that pulls you in and you find yourself waiting to hear the next instrument that joins in. Also I found myself trying to guess what the next song would be like.

I found a new cd on Amazon for 13.00 and it was produced by Blackmore so it's recorded properly and not at 100% modulation like some rock albums.

I included the url for anyone who might be curious about what happened to the several times lead guitarist for Deep Purple His music doesn't sound anything like what Deep Purple became from the mid 70's on. If you follow Deep Purple and are familiar with their album The Book of Taleisyn gives a hint as to what he does now on the title cut and a couple of the other renaissance type songs. They are no where as good or well constructed as what he does now.

Re: MB, have you [message #6766 is a reply to message #6764] Sat, 13 May 2006 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds good; I will try that one. Deep Purple was not so bad; good rock music. What Museum if I may ask?

Re: MB, have you [message #6767 is a reply to message #6766] Sat, 13 May 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
It's the Dufur Living History Museum. We put on a Threshing Bee every year and it's all horse drawn equipment except for the steam tractor that runs the seperator that I operate.

Here is the website for the Bee and some of the pictures show the log cabin which is part of our museum. It's a small town affair but we're excited as we have watched it grow from just a log cabin to a decent sized building plus a shop building and storage building for wagons and things.

The mountain in the background of the pictures that show the Dufur Valley is Mt. Hood. Not a big mountain but when I see it I know I'm home

Here is the URL [message #6768 is a reply to message #6767] Sat, 13 May 2006 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master

Previous Topic: Music archive
Next Topic: They don't make videos like this anymore.......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:18:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio