Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Favorite guitarists
Favorite guitarists [message #6665] Tue, 04 April 2006 20:10 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Manualblock and I have been discussing some different genres of music below and since guitarists are my favorite I thought I'd see which ones ya'll listen to. I'll give a short list of some of the ones I've listened to in the last week.

Stevie Ray Vaughan --cliche I know, but the guy played much more
than just what most people know.
Buddy Guy
Luther Allison
Little JImmy King and his brother Eric Gales
Zakk Wylde --contrary to his Ozzy work, I've heard him chickenpick
like Lee.
Chris Smither --DAMN!
Robert Cray -- older stuff
Eric Johnson

I could list 100 more, but these are the guys I've listened to in the last week. I'm sure I'm going to get some names I've never heard of, so I'm excited!!

Re: Favorite guitarists [message #6666 is a reply to message #6665] Wed, 05 April 2006 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Joe Pass
George Van Epp (7string 50's jazz player)
Chet (do I need a last name?)
SRV. Maybe cliche, but he was a gifted player. He could run nonstop longer and stay in the groove without thought longer than anybody.
Alex Lifeson. When I want to rock, Rush goes on the player.

These are the guys I listen to the most.

There are so many. But I return to Joe Pass constantly (along with Miles Davis). Almost every time I listen to music. His phrasing, chordal movement, musicality and sheer speed without braggadocio make him my first choice when I open the cd case.

Re: Interesting Picks [message #6667 is a reply to message #6666] Wed, 05 April 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You guys have some good picks guitar-wise here. SRV; I always liked that little half-stutter he does on blues shuffle numbers; he's like a drummers dream. And he always plays the music; he never wanders off into la-la land.
Chet Atkins; no one else can climb that mountain.
Not familiar with Van Epp; who did he play with?

Re: Favorite guitarists [message #6668 is a reply to message #6665] Wed, 05 April 2006 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Luther Allison and Little Jimmy; on the Audioquest label. How about Jimmie's version of Little Wing?
Eric Johnson; I like his sound; don't know what amp and effects he uses but it has a great ring.
Buddy Guy; the man is raw; not finesse there but real raw!

Probably Not What You Had In Mind . . . [message #6669 is a reply to message #6665] Wed, 05 April 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Leo Kottke and Robert Johnson.

Oh, you want electric? Jimi and Frank.

Re: Probably Not What You Had In Mind . . . [message #6670 is a reply to message #6669] Wed, 05 April 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
E-Mans Back. Leo Kotkey; is he doing anything recently? You like the delta guys?
I like the blues; Lonnie Johnson/Sleepy John Estes/ Bukka White.

Re: Probably Not What You Had In Mind . . . [message #6671 is a reply to message #6669] Wed, 05 April 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Man, any gitfiddle player will do! All four of those guys are great!

Re: Favorite guitarists [message #6672 is a reply to message #6668] Wed, 05 April 2006 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I saw Eric play at a little 200 seat "club" in Wichita on his Ah Via Musicom tour. He was and hour late to the gig cuz his bus broke down, so to make up for it he played for about 4 hours solid. I was 5 feet away fromt he guy. Just phenomenal! He played all his own stuff, Hendrix, old blues, Simon and Garfunkel--you name it he could play it. He uses very old equipment--Dumble Amps,tape loops, Leslies--all the old school stuff.

I saw Buddy a couple of years ago and that man has a stage presence like you wouldn't believe! Another little club setting and he was walking around in the audience, playing and singing. He's another one that can play stuff you wouldn't expect him to do.

Steve Vai's version of Little Wing is very good, also. For a Hendrix cover one of the best I've heard is Kenny Wayne Shepard's version of Voodoo Chile. Just take Stevie Ray's and step it up a notch. Just smokin'!!

How about Lonnie Mack's Ridin' the Blinds?

Re: Interesting Picks [message #6673 is a reply to message #6667] Wed, 05 April 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Let's not forget Albert Lee. Possibly the best chikin'picker ever.

Re: Interesting Picks [message #6674 is a reply to message #6673] Wed, 05 April 2006 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll give you that; as long as it isn't ALVIN Lee. Remmember that guy?

Previous Topic: First prize is a Jane Monheit CD
Next Topic: White bucks vs. blue suede shoes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:11:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout