Home » Audio » General » evil mp3s..sharing
evil mp3s..sharing [message #539] Mon, 14 June 2004 00:04 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

You know after the previous filesharing/kazaa discussion here...
I was thinking

-Sharing of wide variety of new music is great
-When i have downloaded songs,i have got the cds OR
-When i have downloaded songs and dont buy,i get rid.
-Downloading full,high quality songs,is wrong ofcourse.

-Buying Songs ,one by one,so that you only get the ones u want,is good.Few companys do this.

-p2p brings fun stuff,like really old blackadder tv shows,or tv shows from the 80s...oddball stuff that normally isnt around.

-Certainly the music industry isnt optimal if u arent into pop music!

I think that theres 2 sorts of people
-low number mp3domestic >100
-high number mp3 hardcore >1000 songs even up to 30,000songs (found on irc channels)

Which will do the more damage?!

Personaly i have no problem with kazaa and p2p,if the mp3s are of low quality that its still worth buying the cd,,
eg keep the rate to radio quality, 56-96kbps
But the fact is mp3s there are often full length,128k or higher(which is still relatively bad quality,but quite sufficient for pc speakers)

Some one likened downloading mp3s for awhile then later deleting,as to stealing a ferrari and giving it back later..

I disagree,its more like borrowing a 1981 lada ,then later buying the ferrari

Just some thoughts.

:-)
Cheers!
mike.e

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #540 is a reply to message #539] Mon, 14 June 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you for the most part. I think that artists and promoters should probably like MP3 distribution, 'cause it's like radio play and can really help a small group get off the ground. So it's good for them. But then again, the small groups probably aren't complaining. They probably are happy about the distribution network. After all, it isn't always easy to interject yourself into radio station music rotation but it is incredibly easy to put yourself on the internet.

But for those that complain about the situation, I suppose it is their right to object, and to seek damages, if they feel they are due any. The public may see this as strong-arm tactics, and it could hurt record labels and musicians if they are viewed as bullys. A rock band that sells mostly to the 13-21 year-old crowd probably doesn't want to start taking kids and their parents to court, because it could easily alienate their audience. That would make just too juicy news for the tabloid press to pass up.

So unless I'm in on the real scoop, up close and personal, I'm going to withold judgement. Appearances can be decieving, especially when being presented by a news media that makes money pushing stories. A person can't really know what the issues really are except on a case-by-case basis and only then if you're one of the people involved. In general, I think the real truth of these kinds of situations is quite shielded from public view. It's really not like the true story is going to be told, so unless you personally know the players involved, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture. There's just too much spin. That's my take on it anyway.

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #542 is a reply to message #539] Mon, 14 June 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
About thirty years ago they passed a law against making any new good music, so I rarely buy music any more.

However, a friend who "collects" music off of the internet (he could not possibly have time to listen more than once to the thousands of songs he has), keeps giving me CDs (mp3, usually) of stuff that he thinks I might like.

As a former software professional, I think that it is wrong to copy and use stuff, so If I find something I like among the things that he gives me, I sometimes buy it. As a result, I have purchased half a dozen CD's to add to my modest collection. For example, I had never heard of "Iris Dement" before, and I'm NOT a country music fan, but I have ended up buying three of her CD's, because I liked her stuff that he gave me. Clearly, the music companies should encourage sharing to me.

But zillions of teenagers with their iPod's and Rio's etc, will never buy a song if they can get it for free. Probably 95% of their stuff they would never buy anyway. But the 5% may be significant. It is hard to tell.

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #543 is a reply to message #540] Mon, 14 June 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
thats the thing with the media , they make you think you know whats going on ,but really your only getting a very small portion

:-)

Politics for example? :-P

are we any more informed than 100yrs ago?
sure,news took 2yrs but you still got it.Is the 'news' of any better quality?of more truthful nature?

What about socrates,who said we should all be thinkers,philosophers, not ALL not some..i think discernment and thinking is more important than knowing stupid stuff ,our news is terrible, 1/2 the time is advertisements, and the 1st topic is always rugby,the nations religion, then 3minutes about important crisis' in the world,then a stupid topic ...then sport

:-S

fix [message #544 is a reply to message #543] Mon, 14 June 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
',ALL not some '

Logic [message #545 is a reply to message #542] Mon, 14 June 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
well personally, does it make a difference to me,

Compared to most youngins..
because i have christian values,and it says thou shalt not steal
I attempt to follow that.

Logical enuf to me!,

+ treat others as ud have them treat you!

I really do like some of the 60s music ive heard. i grew up listening to phil collins,beatles,tracy chapman , etc.

ALso in one of my games, theres alot of 60s music,its real fun :-)

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #547 is a reply to message #543] Mon, 14 June 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think you're right, that discernment is probably one of the most important gifts.

But then what do I know, I think the news about Rugby is probably the most fun.

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #548 is a reply to message #547] Mon, 14 June 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
but if i think about it,if soccer was first on the news,i wouldnt mind as much..but it would still be silly to have it first :-P

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #549 is a reply to message #548] Mon, 14 June 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

It would be handy if you cud edit posts within 15minutes!

Socrates
In his use of critical reasoning, by his unwavering commitment to truth, and through the vivid example of his own life, fifth-century Athenian Socrates set the standard for all subsequent Western philosophy

through the careful application of a dialectical method that employs critical inquiry to undermine the plausibility of widely-held doctrines.

Destroying the illusion that we already comprehend the world perfectly and honestly accepting the fact of our own ignorance, Socrates believed, are vital steps toward our acquisition of genuine knowledge, by discovering universal definitions of the key concepts governing human life.

Re: evil mp3s..sharing [message #550 is a reply to message #542] Mon, 14 June 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Saw Iris live last summer, she is good in concert, a real sweetheart. Some of her songs get sappy but the good ones are many and very good. "Our Town". Try the Jayhawks if you like her. File sharing seems to be the same thing they screamed about when the cassette was first marketed. Studies up the wazoo have proven that the more exposure the more sales and the better for music and creativity. This thing is about excluding the lesser knowns so the bigs make more money. The music co. put so much money into advertizing their golden boys that they have to constrain the free expression of talent in order to recoup their investments.

Previous Topic: Interesting Speaker Design
Next Topic: Server Maintenance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:04:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout